Basis computation required this year

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
Is there a specific form or format that should be used for the basis computation that's required this year or can I use the basis worksheet that my software provides with the K-1's?

sjrcpa  
I would use what your software produces. That's what I've been doing since they introduced this requirement several years ago.

I've never provided a basis statement when filing the personal return of an S Corp stockholder, and we've never been asked to provide it. The first I learned of it needing to be attached to the return is this year and my software is actually stating it has to be attached or the return can't be e-filed. That never happened before. When did you start attaching them SJR?

Last month, I learned that ProSystem has been sending the basis schedule with the efile for many years when an s-corp loss was being claimed.
~Captcook

adamant  
The requirement is stated on Sch E p2 now. First year this request was on the form.

Doesn't the requirement have something to do with the shareholders having taken a distribution, too? And I just looked at the Schedule E, it does have a new box on it to be marked if a basis calculation is required, that was not on the Schedule E last year, I checked. I also just caught the phrase "Attach this worksheet to your return" at the top of the worksheet I was wondering about. It would be a lot easier if Drake would just attach it or have a mark somewhere that automatically attached it. Oh, well, good thing my printer will do a PDF.

If you have filled in the basis screen, all you should have to do is go to view mode and click on the icon to attach it.
Because on T.A. ten was the most you were allowed

For as long as I can remember, the IRS instructions in Schedule E have said that you have to attach a basis schedule if you are claiming a loss from an S corp. for the tax year.

HowardS  
Retired, no salvage value.

Return to Taxation