CA Technical Termination

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
I’m working my way through a partnership technical termination in California and was hoping for some advice. The TCJA has eliminated technical terminations on the federal level, but California does not conform. So my questions are as follows:

Am I going to have to prepare two separate tax returns every year going forward? As opposed to populating the federal return and then transferring the information to the state return via the software.

As for the “new” partnership in California, how do I handle the transfer of depreciable assets? I understand that property is considered placed in service at the date of sale and given a "new" depreciable life using the adjusted basis of the property prior to termination.

But...if that’s the case, the federal and state the balance sheet’s won’t match. In other words, the total value of assets will be higher on the federal return versus the California state return. Right?

Also, what if some of the assets in the partnership have no basis? Would they be left off the new state balance sheet ? The software won’t let me put accumulated depreciation, section 179, etc. for “new“ assets.

Also, is a 743(b) adjustment considered an asset and listed on the partnership's Federal and State balance sheets along with the other assets? I have left it off seeing as it only applies to the partner who bought his 50% interest from a retiring partner and the corresponding deprecation is taken outside the partnership and directed on the new partner's k-1 exclusively.

The partnership is cash basis and K-1 capital accounting is tax basis.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Return to Taxation