IRS eFile Rejections for Incorrect PY Data?

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
Is anyone suddenly receiving rejections for following reason? I compared the proforma information and the eFile content from 2017, and it identically matches what was entered for 2018. This rejection reason is false.

This is via UT, by the way. I do not have time to address, so just going to print out and have client mail, but wondering if anyone else is suddenly encountering such rejections.

Tax Authority: US
Details: Rejected

Incorrect Data: /Return/ReturnHeader/Filer/PrimarySSN: 'PrimaryPriorYearPIN' or 'PrimaryPriorYearAGIAmt' in the Return Header must match the e-File database. (, rule IND-031-04)

SubID=

Rejected
--------- ERRORS ---------
Incorrect Data

/Return/ReturnHeader/Filer/PrimarySSN

'PrimaryPriorYearPIN' or 'PrimaryPriorYearAGIAmt' in the Return Header must match the e-File database. (, rule IND-031-04)
SubID=

I've never had that problem, but I'd just delete the prior year AGI and/or prior year PIN from the "PIN" screen, recreate the electronic file, and send it in again.

Did you amend the 2017 tax return after it was e-filed? That would change the AGI for carryforward but not from the IRS database. Not sure if UT proformas the AGI as originally filed or as corrected, if amended.

Hmmmm.. why would prior year AGI even mattter to an efile of current year? Is it a Security check? I use proseries and do not need prior year AGI to file.

Oddly I’ve had a few clients come to me this year because they tried to file via turbo tax as they did last year and they can’t because It asks for prior year AGI. These clients never printed a copy of the return they did thru turbo tax and also could not access it without paying an additional fee. (wHAT?!?!). My guess is these folks free filed their TB last year and this is TB’s way of collecting fees. I was able to file without such data.....just seems morally wrong on sooo many levels. Not sure how TB can get away with this practice.

Yes I realize TB and Proseries are both owned by Intuit.

I am just without words

CathysTaxes  
I believe it is a security check, it's been awhile but I do remember a return rejecting for that reason.

You get what you pay for. I've run into Turbo Tax users who didn't print the return, they told me they didn't know how. I'm betting they didn't want to pay for it. They can always get a transcript.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

Yes, security check to cut down on fraudulent efilings.

I did what missingdonut suggested and it was rejected a second time, same reason. I prepared the 2017 return, the prior year PIN and AGI are absolutely correct and as filed. Seems to be an issue with IRS.

Mailing, it is! This is precisely why I do not prepare taxes through the 15th and instead cut off about 4 days in advance; I do not care if I could use these rejections as proof of having timely filed, it is more hassle than it is worth.

I wonder if it was something irs forced them to do. Wasn’t it TT was halted from wring a few years back? I think some states refused to allow efiling too.

kbairtax wrote:I wonder if it was something irs forced them to do. Wasn’t it TT was halted from wring a few years back? I think some states refused to allow efiling too.

Don't think so. Other tax returns submitted same day went through without issue. Think this instance was a bug in IRS computers, because I eFiled the TP's 2017 return about a month ago without issue. Unless their 2017 has not actually been "processed" despite having been eFiled and accepted.

Joan TB  
CornerstoneCPA - if the 2017 was sent that recently, try using 2016 AGI as confirmation of your 2018 efiling.. The IRS computer trying to do the matching for your 2018 efile probably doesn't have that 2017 info yet.

Please let us know if that works. Could be helpful for others at some point.

SIDE NOTE: If this indeed is what has caused the problem, then isn't it funny how a random comment perhaps finally put us on the path to figuring this out?

makbo  
I think you are all on the wrong track. There are several methods for entering the PIN, such as self select PIN and ERO PIN method. If you are an ERO, you should not need to enter anything about prior year AGI or prior year PIN. (Think about it, does H&R office require a prior year return to efile the current year for a new client?) See Pub 1345. There is a slightly different treatment of a DIY taxpayer using self select PIN (TurboTax, H&R at home), and a taxpayer using a paid preparer but who still chooses to self-select their PIN (very unusual).

I suspect the OP is not using the ERO PIN method. Like the OP, I use UltraTax, and I have been successfully efiling returns all along using the ERO PIN method.
Last edited by makbo on 13-Apr-2019 8:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

makbo  
kbairtax wrote:Hmmmm.. why would prior year AGI even mattter to an efile of current year? Is it a Security check? I use proseries and do not need prior year AGI to file.

+1

I figured out what the fundamental issue is, BTW, based on an IRS letter to my client. Their 2017 return indicated no health insurance and thus had the individual responsibility penalty, but IRS had record they received a subsidy via Marketplace for Jan-Feb 2017. Client never told me that, and was adamant they never had coverage. Accordingly, the 2017 return has not yet been processed. Either way, I provided the client a printed copy to mail.

makbo  
CornerstoneCPA wrote:I figured out what the fundamental issue is, BTW, based on an IRS letter to my client. [...] Accordingly, the 2017 return has not yet been processed. Either way, I provided the client a printed copy to mail.

No, you haven't. A 2017 return does not have to have been processed by the IRS in order to efile a 2018 tax return by the same taxpayer.

makbo wrote:No, you haven't. A 2017 return does not have to have been processed by the IRS in order to efile a 2018 tax return by the same taxpayer.

Good grief, do you ever not argue? Tell it to the IRS and argue the reasons they indicated for rejection. I am stating the cause of why their computers rejected 2017 PIN and AGI, because the 2017 return HAS NOT BEEN PROCESSED for a reason I was not aware of last week.

Topic is done, but I am sure you will continue beating the horse.

makbo  
CornerstoneCPA wrote:Topic is done, but I am sure you will continue beating the horse.

Why would I do that? I like horses.

There are two parties to the transaction, you and the IRS. Why is it clear that the problem is 100% with the IRS? See also posts #2 and #4, which you seemed to ignore.

makbo  
Here is what CornerstoneCPA's tax software vendor says about the error. See the emphasized portion below. This seems pretty conclusive that this is a case of PEBKAC. Based on the comment in the OP "This is via UT, by the way. I do not have time to address, so just going to print out and have client mail, ", I imagine the client will never know the real reason why the return was to be paper mailed.

http://cs.thomsonreuters.com/ua/ut/2018 ... nd-031.htm

"Error

'Incorrect Data: /Return/ReturnHeader/Filer/PrimarySSN: 'PrimaryPriorYearPIN' or 'PrimaryPriorYearAGIAmt' in the Return Header must match the e-File database. (value #########, rule IND-031-04)
Solution

This rejection is saying the Prior year taxpayer PIN or Prior year AGI for the taxpayer entered on the PIN screen, in the Electronic Filing folder, does not match what the IRS has in their database. Rule IND-032 will trigger for the spouse.

To correct this issue, confirm the information with the client. If the amount and PIN appear correct, contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 for additional information. Also, you may choose to use the Practitioner PIN option, which does not require entry of the shared secrets."
[emphasis added]

I always use the practicioner pin option....so I guess it always matches since it is preset to be social. 4 or 5 digits....who knows. I have bourbon brain right now. It still doesn’t answer the issue. I get 50 or so new clients a year...never had a prior year pin issue. I like horses to makbo

Return to Taxation