Final 1120S Stockholders adjusted basis less than debt basis

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
Assistance appreciated !

Final 1120S; after all distributions cash & property;
the ending stockholders adjusted basis $39,000 is less than the Debt basis at the end of year $96,000.

Am I correct in my thinking that the S/H will have a capital gain of $57,000 on his personal return?

Thank you in advance !

Hayden

In case someone else goes down this rabbit hole...

After research; now realize that the S/H's DEBT BASIS has NO bearing on determining the gain or loss on the sale of stock nor does it impact the taxability of a S Corporation's distribution.

The S/H 's debt basis is relevant only for determining the amount of loss a S/H may current use.

So adjusted basis $39,000, S/H note still owed $56,000 = $ ; Final distribution $70,000; capital loss $25,000.

Believe I have seen the light?
Thank you

99% of the time I have seen situations like this the basis was calculated incorrectly. I would not take a loss on dissolution unless I know exactly what transaction yielded more basis than cash. It could happen...most commonly if a shareholder buys out another shareholder. But I would insist on understanding exactly when and why it happened.

I don't believe that there is any way company that was always an s-corp with one owner, could ever have a loss on dissolution.

Thank you Tax Monkey!

I don't believe that there is any way company that was always an s-corp with one owner, could ever have a loss on dissolution.

If ever they paid tax on excess distributions or gain on repayment of shareholder loans?

I would have to go back & look regarding paying tax on gain on repayment of S/H loan.

began 2007 so it may be possible..

Generally, on an S-Corp the shareholder basis is equal to the R/E, capital stock, APIC, and loans from shareholder. There are several things that will throw this off though which is why I track any differences each year.

Thank you NIghtsnorkeler; I Will!!

Return to Taxation