Authority to check the status of 1040X

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
I am the preparer of client's original tax return.

I am also the preparer of an 1040X amended tax return of this client.

Now if I want to go online to check the status of the 1040X amended tax return, do I need a power of attorney from the client?

From IRS website:

"Another common type of Tax Information Authorization is the Third Party Designee or the "Checkbox". It appears on individual income tax forms in the 1040 series (except amended returns) just above the signature line. It is also available on business tax returns in the 94X series, and on Forms 720, 1041, 1120, 2290 and CT-1 tax forms just above the signature line.

If you complete the designation, your authorization will be recorded when we receive and begin processing the tax return. No other action is required.

The designee can exchange verbal information with the IRS on return processing issues and with regard to refunds and payments related to the return."

Looks to me the third party designation on the tax return does give the preparer's authority to check on the processing status of the tax return. Does anyone agree or disagree?

That statement from the IRS website "The designee can exchange verbal information with the IRS on return processing issues and with regard to refunds and payments related to the return" says very little and what it does say it says quite awkwardly. Is there a "higher up the IRS food chain" source describing what this "Checkbox" TIA really does?

makbo  
MeaningfulIdea wrote:Now if I want to go online to check the status of the 1040X amended tax return, do I need a power of attorney from the client?

What do you mean by "go online"? Would that be via e-services? That does require that your CAF number be authorized for access to the taxpayer's info, yes.

Or, do you mean through the IRS' self-serve "where's my amended return" link at its web site? You do have to go through this privacy message, which warns "By submitting this information, you certify that you are the person identified. Use of this system to access another person's information may result in civil and criminal penalties"

So the safest thing is to have the taxpayer do it for themself. But, sometimes safe is boring. :o

Return to Taxation