Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
Anyone receiving complaints about IRS refund turnaround?
Post a reply

15-May-2019 2:54pm

I have many more than usual waiting over 6 weeks.

15-May-2019 5:35pm

I haven't noticed any more complaints than in prior years. Makes me wonder if the clients who have been waiting awhile have anything in common - prior year was filed on paper - or they have an Identity Protection PIN maybe?

15-May-2019 5:58pm

Individual clients I efiled during the last two weeks before the deadline had to wait longer than in previous years...they all eventually got their (federal) refund to my knowledge.

15-May-2019 6:01pm

There seems to be a huge uptick in TPP identity verification letters. It seems that most of our clients who did not file a timely 2017 return have been getting identity verification letters. I've had at least 7 people who filed on 4/15 and did not file 2017 for whatever reason get these letters dated May 2, but the letters haven't even started arriving in people's mailboxes until this week.

17-May-2019 2:38pm

A common thread appears to be QBI. One of the four cases received their refund last week but it was $400 more than I calculated. No explanation from IRS but they had both QBI and iterative calculation for IRA and SEHI and Obamacare credit. I wonder if it is related to this and my Drake software calculations. I've basically been trusting Drake on the iterative calculation. I've double checked a few QBI calculations and did not note any issues.

17-May-2019 3:45pm

Never had that problem in 26 years. My clients either owe large amounts or the refunds are offset to the large amounts owed.

24-May-2019 2:10pm

Lots. Everybody wants theirs yesterday
Post a reply