Set up Secure Mailbox with E Services

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
I've had an E Services account for years but now want to create the Secure Mailbox thing so I can get unredacted transcripts. The only way I see to login is TDS and once logged in I sure don't see any links that allow me to create the Secure Mailbox.

How do I do that?

Bob

sjrcpa  
I think the secure mailbox is already there as part of your account. They only put the transcripts in it if they are too big to automatically open when you request them.

Joan TB  
FROM THE IRS FACT SHEET 2018-20: How to Request a Wage and Income Transcript

1) Tax practitioners must first go to the e-Services’ Transcript Delivery System to obtain a MASKED Wage and Income Transcript to see if it meets their needs.
2) If employer information is still needed for tax preparation, tax practitioners may order an UNMASKED Wage and Income Transcript if the client does not have the employment information. The practitioner must:

•Have a Centralized Authorization File (CAF) number in good standing;
•Have an e-Services account and access to the SOR, the e-Services secure mailbox.

Tax practitioners who meet those requirements should take the following steps:
1.CALL the Practitioner Priority Service line
2.Authenticate identity with CAF number, name, Social Security Number and Date of Birth
3.Fax a completed authorization form (if needed)
4.Request an unmasked Wage and Income Transcript
5.Access e-Services secure mailbox to receive the unmasked Wage and Income Transcript

Alternatively, tax practitioners who do not have an e-Services account or SOR access may request that the unmasked Wage and Income Transcript be mailed to the client’s address of record.

Apparently you can only get on the UNMASKED transcripts by calling, not just by logging in. So I guess that means we have to wait through the lengthy hold time. The link to the "mailbox" is located at the upper right in the dark-blue header bar at the top of the e-services page (next to "logout"). I have not requested one of these yet, but I do occasionally check my mailbox to make sure I haven't missed something.

sjrcpa  
Joan you are correct. I missed where Bob said he wanted unmasked transcriopts.

I rarely use TDS because my cases are all near emergencies. I always call the Hotline to find out what the IRS wants and get the scripts faxed immediately. I just went to the E Services page and clicked on the SOR link. I did not realize SOR is simply another name for the regular email link for stuff from the IRS. I think the last thing I got in that mailbox was my PTIN renewal acceptance. I read all the stuff about them redacting the scripts, planning to stop faxing them, then they rescinded that due to pressure from tax pros. In all those articles they started talking about the SOR thing and it sounded like (to me anyway) this was something new that was just created for E Services accounts and I had to do something to set it up. Sometimes I overthink stuff...

Thanks for the clarification.

Bob

sjrcpa  
I just had the "pleasure" of calling Tax Practitioner Priority Line to request unmasked wage and income transcripts. For IRS to put the transcripts in your mailbox, they need your eservices user name. The info is supposed to be there in 24 hours.

dave829  
Account Deactivated
I’d just like to clarify that you don’t have to call the Practitioner Priority Line to request an unmasked wage and income transcript. #1 - #5 above were all posted before the IRS issued IR-2019-101 on June 4th.
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-takes- ... ranscripts

In this News Release, the IRS stated:
● When needed for tax preparation purposes, tax practitioners may:
    o Obtain an unmasked wage and income transcript by calling the IRS, faxing authorization to the IRS assistor and the IRS assistor will place the document in the tax practitioner’s e-Services secure mailbox, or
    o Obtain an unmasked wage and income transcript if authorization is already on file by using e-Service’s Transcript Delivery System.

So, you don't have to call the Practitioner Priority Line to request an unmasked transcript.
If your authorization is on file, you can use TDS through e-Services.

sjrcpa  
Thanks for this info.

Return to Taxation