form 4797 mass disposition or itemized?

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
juro  
Which is correct?

Client sold a bunch of rental houses, each with many appliances such as water heaters, etc.

My form 4797 page #2 is now several pages long.

makbo  
Sec 1245 property? Were the assets fully depreciated?

In my software (UT), when I indicate "mass disposition", it is summarized on Form 4797, and detailed on the federal asset report (which is a worksheet, not filed with the return). Mass dispositions have to consist of assets of a similar type (or whatever the correct term is -- in other words it's not a good idea to mass dispose of land and building in the same mass disposition, as often the first asset in the grouping - the "mass" - is the one that dictates treatment of the entire group/mass). Every summarized transaction should include only assets that go to the same part of Form 4797.

juro  
:D thanks

I'm very interested in this topic. How do you guys typically handle the sale of 1250 rental property with improvement assets?

Do you preffer to list each improvement in the 4797 (which means you have to apportion the sale price to the improvements) or Try to enter it all in one transaction?

My current software is unable to group a 4797 sale. When marking each asset as sold on 4562 it generates a new 4797 entry.

juro  
Tomahawk674 wrote:I'm very interested in this topic. How do you guys typically handle the sale of 1250 rental property with improvement assets?

Do you preffer to list each improvement in the 4797 (which means you have to apportion the sale price to the improvements) or Try to enter it all in one transaction?

My current software is unable to group a 4797 sale. When marking each asset as sold on 4562 it generates a new 4797 entry.

my employer want each improvement listed in the 4797, but we apportion 10% of the sale price to land, & 90% to the building, and zero is apportioned to all else.

makbo  
juro wrote:my employer want each improvement listed in the 4797, but we apportion 10% of the sale price to land, & 90% to the building, and zero is apportioned to all else.

I'm not going to comment on the land/building allocation here, but I often report the sale price of appliances/furniture (one of the OP questions) at the current adjusted basis for tax, i.e. zero gain or loss.

Return to Taxation