Section 199A Interior Designer

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
Taxctfl  
Would an interior designer be considered an SSTB for Section 199A as a consultant? Time on invoices includes meeting with clients regarding wallpaper, ordering wallpaper, order and install furniture, meet with architect, site visit, work with vendor, project management. I am not certain this is "advice and counsel". The time and billing invoicing is unfortunately over 10% so they don't qualify for de minimis. My understanding of a consultant is "this is what you should do and how you should do it, here's a plan on how to do it...bye". Where this client is overseeing the project from start to finish and coordinating all the vendors.

Have you seen this discussion? Maybe something in it will help you.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15642&p=138964&hilit=interior+design#p138964

Taxctfl  
Thanks, that is helpful. I had not seen it.

Taxctfi, I'm curious if your client is using Studiowebware for their software?

Taxctfl  
Hello actionbsns, is that the same as Studio Designer? If so, they just switched to SD from QBO. Software has been a problematic area. How do you like the software?

I believe it is the same software. It's not an easy software to use or learn. It has a lot of value for our client in being able to keep track of information they need as their projects develope, but the rest of it is pretty horrible. I gave up trying to know it in depth and have only gotten comfortable with the parts that I need. The office manager who signed up my client for it wasn't thrilled with it, but it is evidently one of the best for the designer function, the rest is just problematic. The new office manager has fits over it. From what I understand, the developer of the software originally wanted to put it on the market, get a following, then sell it off to Intuit. But Intuit was a no go and they parted ways on less than friendly terms. That was about ten or twelve years ago. Now they have a new iteration that shows up on the sign screen, but I don't think it's functional yet. The new office manager told me that the new version will be integrating with QBO. She's looking for other alternatives now, neither of us like QBO.

Taxctfl  
UGH!! This is their third time changing software. That is not encouraging - HA! FYI - I've experienced and heard bad about both IVY and Design Manager in case those are prospects.

Taxctfl, my client has had a communication from Studio Designer that they are switching to the new platform in mid October. Is that happening with your client as well? My client is also connected to a blog for SD, and indicates that the conversion is not going well for everyone, there seem to be a lot of complaints. I did a Google search for blogs but didn't find one. What has been your experience so far?

Return to Taxation