CP518 & Form 15103

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
Joan TB  
Apparently this Form 15103 is a new one for the IRS. In my experience. these notices are being sent to folks who didn't file their 2017 returns. Now I am not opposed to the idea of these reminders going to delinquent taxpayers, but the notice and form reads as if you HAVE to answer right away or face terrible consequences. (Typical scare tactics - the notice does say "immediately".) But a careful reading of the notice only seems to (a)remind people that they can lose their refund after 3 years, (b) they charge penalty & interest if you owe them money, and (c) the IRS "may determine your tax for you". Blah, blah, blah.

However, if this form has prodded the taxpayer to bring in the info so that the return can be prepared, that is all good. In some cases, the returns were efiled less than a month before. The Form 15103 wants a copy of a previously filed return, but I am only writing in the efile confirmation number & date.

But the Form 15103 just seems to be a nuisance to complete while you are working on getting the returns done. And at this time of year, those returns are gonna wait until after Oct 15th before I do them. There doesn't seem to be a place on the form to say "I am working on it", so in those instances, I am pretty much ignoring the form. What are others doing?

sjrcpa  
If the 2017 return was filed, I'll fill it out and fax it.
Otherwise I won't do anything with it.
Client sent me one today. 2017 has not been filed and I am working on it.

makbo  
Joan TB wrote: the notice and form reads as if you HAVE to answer right away or face terrible consequences. (Typical scare tactics - the notice does say "immediately".)

I don't have the CP518 letter, but the IRS link for it does not state or imply any "terrible consequences" or "scare tactics" that I can see. What does the letter say, besides "immediately" (which shouldn't be scary to someone who is clearly late)?

Joan TB wrote:In some cases, the returns were efiled less than a month before. The Form 15103 wants a copy of a previously filed return, but I am only writing in the efile confirmation number & date.

You are doing more than you need to.

"What should I do if I've just filed my tax return?
You don't have to do anything if you filed your tax return within the last 8 weeks."

Joan TB wrote:But the Form 15103 just seems to be a nuisance to complete while you are working on getting the returns done.

I don't think it's a "nuisance" for law-breakers (late filers and payers) to get an official notice of their law-breaking, offering a relatively painless way to defer enforcement action for a period of time.

Return to Taxation