CA Corp filing requirement if corp operates in TX

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
kathyt  
I have a client who lives in CA and has an S-corp in Texas (organized in Texas & operates only in Texas) the business is a hotel, and so all of the property, income, and expenses are of course at the hotel in Texas. On the income tax return he used his home address in CA. So he received a notice from CA asking to show why he did not file a CA Corp tax return. We wrote a letter explaining that it's a hotel in Texas and he just used his home address as the address on the tax return because he gets most of his mail there.

So CA sent a response that is a set a questions to determine the filing requirement - most questions would prove that he doesn't have a CA filing requirement (no property, income or expenses in CA) but there are two questions that make me nervous - one question asks if a CA member signs checks, another asks if you maintain a bank account with a CA bank. Could simply having a CA bank account & a CA shareholder that can sign checks cause you to be required to file a CA return?

He reported the income from the K-1 on his personal return, paid CA tax on it - but it seems crazy to me that he might have to file a CA return - am I reading too much into those questions or is that how it works? He travels back & forth from Texas to CA all the time dealing with the hotel, and he opened the bank acct in CA because it was easier that way for him but there are locations of that bank near the hotel in Texas too.

zl28  
I'm not the guru of CA but it sounds like your client is doing business in Ca and therefore has to file.

I say yes, having a bank account in CA and signing checks in CA to me would be doing business in CA.

Fortunately, you've picked up the income on his indiv...so looks like you need to file CA S-Corp.

Maybe want to CA the tax prac hotline to discuss what needs to be done 916-845-7057

kathyt  
Well I just called the number you gave me and sure enough they said that just having a shareholder who is a California resident that makes business decisions for the corporation located in another state - is doing business in CA. Even if he didn't open a CA bank account - even if there were 10 shareholders and only one was a CA resident - the corp that is located & operated outside of CA would still have to file a CA return & pay the $800 every year. That is the craziest thing I have ever heard. I guess all of the corporate returns I've ever done were all in Louisiana and the shareholder's also LA residents, but my gosh it seems crazy to me that just making business decisions causes you to have a CA filing requirement.

zl28  
CA is a very aggressive state for it's taxes, when time permits, take a look at their market based sourcing rules.

JAD  
To echo zl28 - yes, you need to file the corporate returns. As far as CA goes, this is not even that aggressive of a position. Your guy is making business decisions from within CA, so he is doing business here. You might also need to register with the SOS.

Return to Taxation