Section 199A aggregation books question

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
If individual chooses to aggregate his rental properties for purposes of Section 199A, must he keep a separate set of books for each property? It seems to read that if he does NOT aggregate, then he or she must keep a separate set of books for each. I expect that even though he or she keeps a separate set of books for each property in the latter case, would one bank account be okay? Or must a separate bank account be kept for each property?

Back to the original question, I expect that if aggregated, one set of books, and one bank account, would be fine.

Comments or suggestions appreciated.

Not sure why no reply to this OP.

Keyad22  
I use QuickBooks for bookkeeping and set up class for different real properties owned by the same owner.

Keyad22  
In QB, go to "edit", go to "preference", go to "accounting", choose "company preference', click " use class tracking for transaction".

Thanks. I have done that through the years, so I guess I am set. All rents collected are deposited into the one bank account, and expenses for all properties are paid through the one bank account, but as long as each property's rental income and expenses are accounted for in a separate QB class, I am good to go.

makbo  
Kendrick wrote:would one bank account be okay? Or must a separate bank account be kept for each property?

I think that might be extreme. It's do-able with one bank account, if, say, each transaction can be assigned to exactly one class, and the QB class assignments are meticulously maintained (no "Unclassified" column in Balance Sheet By Class reports). But, I have one client whose bank offers the ability to create multiple virtual checking accounts, so reconciliation of each property's statements is possible. If that is available, use it.

Return to Taxation