Problem with E Services

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
The few times I've needed transcripts I would just call, fax the POA and they would fax the transcripts but of course that stopped a month or two ago. A month ago I was not in a huge rush so I faxed the POA to the CAF unit, waited a week and pulled the transcripts from E Services. Fine. Now I need them quickly so I read somewhere or was told I can call, fax the POA, they will send the transcripts to my secure mailbox and I can pull them up within an hour or so. That has not worked. I keep getting CAF check failed. I've now faxed the POA twice, both times I was told no problem you should be able to log in and get them almost immediately but I just tried again now after faxing the POA the second time yesterday and still CAF Check Failed.

I tried calling the E Services helpline 3 times about this and all I get is the call volume message and it hangs up.

I am stuck and I need those transcripts. Any ideas?

Bob

You need to call the IRS, fax the POA to them, and request that they put the transcript in your secure mailbox.

Then when you log onto your e-services account the transcript should be in your mailbox within a minute or two. You are not requesting another transcript through e-services, just check your secure mailbox.

Yes, I know that's what I just wrote I did. I've called the IRS twice and faxed the POA twice. Once last Thursday and once yesterday. The problem is I've logged in several times and it keeps saying CAF check failed.

sjrcpa  
You don't need the CAF check to access your mailbox.

taxnoob  
CrickTaxEA wrote:Yes, I know that's what I just wrote I did. I've called the IRS twice and faxed the POA twice. Once last Thursday and once yesterday. The problem is I've logged in several times and it keeps saying CAF check failed.

If you are faxing your POA to the CAF unit, you need to give them at least 3-weeks before you can pull the transcript through TDS.

Otherwise, if you want it faster, you would need to call in and just have them deliver the transcript to your secured mailbox. Do not hang up until you see it on your mailbox.

I know all of this Taxnoob I'm talking about pulling the transcripts immediately. Maybe my problem is this:

You don't need the CAF check to access your mailbox.

How do you access the mailbox without logging into E Services? Or, after logging in I'm not doing something right at that point? The next screen after logging in asks what do you want to do and I don't see an option to simply go to the mailbox. Maybe that's what I'm missing?

On the main screen which asks What You Can Do there is a menu bar at the top. On the far right is your mailbox

Welcome XXXXXXXXX | e-services | TDS Tutorial | TDS Home | Mailbox | Sign Out
Transcript Delivery System
What You Can Do

On-Line Transcript Request
Allows authorized users to request and receive transcript information

Got it. DUH! How did I miss that?

Thank you so much

Dammit, not so fast Grasshopper! I printed out the transcripts OK but they're still redacted like they did with the faxes. I can't efile off these. I thought the Secure Mailbox was going to take care of that? Do I still have to wait now for the POA to show up in the CAF unit and then pull them up? This is ridiculous.

Joan TB  
You may have to actually ask for an UNMASKED transcript when you talk to someone. (Their word - my word would be unredacted.) Seems like their default is MASKED, no matter what.

I believe that when you are using e-services -- and have the "approved authorization", whatever that means -- the transcript you request will be unredacted ONLY IF you have it delivered to your mailbox.

Also, you need to REQUEST that whoever you are talking to at the IRS also sends your POA to the CAF unit so it can be recorded on CAF. Not all IRS phone people automatically do that - but some do offer to do it (maybe the more customer-service-oriented ones). I always ask for it to be done, just to make sure.

Good luck!!

Yeah, you may be right. It makes no sense since the secure mailbox is hmmm SECURE?? So who cares if it's unreda...unmasked make them all in the clear. I just got another client this afternoon who also needs wage and income so I'll get yet another bite at the apple with the first one. And I always ask for a POA to go to the CAF unit. Jeesh you'd think there's a filing deadline coming up or something...Thanks

makbo  
The taxpayer should be able to get their own transcript on demand in real time from the web site, if you are in a hurry.

makbo wrote:The taxpayer should be able to get their own transcript on demand in real time from the web site, if you are in a hurry.

Not as easy as it sounds though. Taxpayer needs a bunch of information to do that and also a cell phone. No cell phone, no transcript. Anyone who is older, then could be an issue.

The IRS is now using credit data to confirm identity. SO they ask for a credit card number or mortgage account number....that sort of stuff. And if you type in information that is not in the exact same format as what the credit bureau has, then you are out of luck.

I just used PPS to order unmasked transcripts for a client. Got put on hold so he could process my request and then we got disconnected. Called back and was told it could take an hour or so for the transcripts to hit my mailbox. So I will check it again and report back. Fingers crossed. Although wait time this morning was only a few mins. Weather must be too nice so not many pros working today! LOL

Forgot to report back yesterday. I had to call back and get someone else to do it as my first attempt that ended in a disconnect did not yield results. But the second attempt did. Unmasked returns and in about an hour.

juro  
is there a way to confirm my CAF # is still good?

just now i tried to pull my own transcript from e-services, & all i get is this:

WARNING: User is not authorized to request the following transcripts:
TIN: 37#-##-##52 Product: Wage and Income MFT/Form: ALL FORMS Tax Month/Qtr: December Tax Year: 2019 Status: CAF Check Failed

Maybe CAF hasn't recorded the Form 2848 that you faxed to them. I have found sometimes that it takes a good three weeks for them to get recorded.

juro  
SumwunLost wrote:Maybe CAF hasn't recorded the Form 2848 that you faxed to them. I have found sometimes that it takes a good three weeks for them to get recorded.

why would i need a POA for pulling a transcript on myself??

also, the field for the CAF will allow only nine digits, and my CAF has the letter "R" on the end, so i could not input it.

sjrcpa  
You don't enter the R online. To get your own transcript, go to the IRS website but not to the Tax Pros section. Make believe you are Joe Taxpayer. You will use your login and password for eservices. I did this the other day for myself.

Joan TB  
The field for the CAF number just wants the numbers. Mine also has an "R", but just use the numbers and it will work. Also e-services works ONLY by checking the Form 2848/8821 CAF database, so unless you have submitted one on yourself, it won't be in the CAF system, so you can't get your own transcript that way.

NOTE: I used to have a 2848 on myself, so I could check stuff without using the awkward (in my opinion) regular "get transcript" option. But the last time I submitted one, CAF rejected it and said I have to use the regular transcript option on myself. So I now I just use hubby's account for the POA and can monitor our MFJ account that way.

Return to Taxation