IP PIN Eligibility Expanded

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
From IRS e-news for Tax Professionals:

IRS Makes Identity Protection PINs Available to More Taxpayers

The IRS is expanding the opt-in Identity Protection Personal Identification Number (IP PIN) program to taxpayers in an additional 10 states for the 2020 filing season. This brings the availability of IP PINs to taxpayers in a total of 19 states and the District of Columbia. The opt-in program is designed for taxpayers who are not victims of identity theft or refund fraud.

For 2020, IP PINs will be available to taxpayers who previously filed in Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Georgia, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas and Washington.

makbo  
I am suffering cognitive dissonance, in trying to decide whether or not I should apply for an IP PIN, and secondarily, whether or not I should advise my spouse to do the same.

I've started the process to apply for one.

The IRS has to snail mail me an authorization code. Apparently you can't register online for a portal if your phone is VOIP or works via internet protocol...

Authorization code will (maybe) be here in 2-3 weeks.

makbo  
Until a few days ago, the IRS IP PIN web page only showed a message that they were "down for maintenance" until January 2020 (this was almost two weeks into January 2020). Now it is finally operational.

I already have a tax pro e-services login for transcript delivery. Turns out it is exactly the same login that is used to create a personal IP PIN. I wanted to go through the process myself before telling my clients about it, so once logged in, I came to a screen that said "we need to verify your identity, that process will begin on the next screen". So I went to the next screen, only to be told "congrats, you passed the verification, here is your IP PIN [displayed on screen]". Not what I was expecting; I thought I would be able to cancel out before the IP PIN was actually issued.

I was a little worried about how long it might take to get the IP PIN, now that we are almost to filing season. But for those who can set up the normal login, it is instant.

Note about the login process: my dumbphone, which I haven't powered off for probably a year or more, started having problems sending/receiving texts (not voice) a few days ago. Turns out the IRS can send you the one-time security code via voice call, not only text. Meanwhile, I did get my phone problem fixed, but now Virgin Mobile is kicking clients like me off their service and handing us off to Boost Mobile. I may have to upgrade my 9-yr old phone, alas, and probably have to start paying more than $15 every 90 days.

The IRS needs to authenticate a taxpayer for an e-services account before an IP PIN can be applied for.

The taxpayer can either do the phone method or the mail method. The phone method is preferred but it doesn't always work and client can get frustrated. The mail method takes up to 2 weeks to receive the authentication code. Then the taxpayer logs in with that code and applies for an IP PIN.

I'm strongly advising my clients that they request and obtain an IP PIN if they're in one of the states with voluntary eligibility. I took the opportunity to remind them again with an e-blast after the IRS added 10 new states back around October. Data breaches are now common. A present day system that uses an SSN as the only method of authentication is asinine.

makbo wrote:I already have a tax pro e-services login for transcript delivery. Turns out it is exactly the same login that is used to create a personal IP PIN. I wanted to go through the process myself before telling my clients about it, so once logged in, I came to a screen that said "we need to verify your identity, that process will begin on the next screen". So I went to the next screen, only to be told "congrats, you passed the verification, here is your IP PIN [displayed on screen]". Not what I was expecting; I thought I would be able to cancel out before the IP PIN was actually issued.

You already authenticated when you previously created the account.

Return to Taxation