199A Specified Service or not

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
BFStax  
Client is 100% shareholder employee of S corp and well above the income threshold so a QBI deduction of $50k comes down to whether this is a SSTB. He provides market research, consumer insights, and employee workshops to large companies to help them better design products and services. My original thought has always been that this is a specified service not eligible for the deduction. He doesn't sell any goods so this seems to fall under providing "advice and counsel".

Any differing opinions?

...and employee workshops

Is this similar?

The performance of services in the field of consulting does not include the performance
of services other than advice and counsel, such as sales (or economically similar
services) or the provision of training and educational courses.

Wiles  
I am probably wrong, but besides the listed evil professions, I believe we are supposed to narrowly define what is an SSTB?

BFStax  
The training verbiage got me, but it's not the majority of his business and I haven't been able to get a good handle from him how much exactly.

Return to Taxation