Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
Correcting efiled return prior to due date?
Post a reply

11-Oct-2019 10:36am

Is the procedure for filing a "corrected" 1040 return different from an "amended" return?

If an error is detected on a recently e-filed 1040, and we wish to correct it PRIOR to the due date of the return, can it be e-filed once again as a "corrected" return (i.e., will the IRS accept a second e-filing of the taxpayer's return?), or must it instead need to be paper-filed as an amended return?

11-Oct-2019 11:27am

I think I have read a thread similar to your question before. If my memory is correct, what you will need is a 'superceding tax return' if the correction is made before the due date. You will need to write that clearly on the top of the tax return and also attach a cover letter to explain it. And I think it is quite obvious that it cannot be efiled as the efiling system would always reject a tax return with tax ID that has filed another tax return already. So it is to be postal mailed in. Hope this helps.

11-Oct-2019 11:32am

In regards to e-filing - this is possibly specific to our software (pro systems fx) and what I know is about a 1065 not 1040, but we e-filed a superceding 1065 last month, there's a checkbox to say it's a superseding return, and that's what allows the e-file to go through. So I'd at least check on that with your software provider before resorting to paper filing.

11-Oct-2019 11:36am

I assumed the OP question is about an individual tax return. Yes I agree efiling may be possible if it is a Form 1065.

11-Oct-2019 11:53am

A superseding 1040 must be paper filed, but it does take the place of an originally filed return. This can be beneficial if needing to change any elections or other dynamics that must be filed on an original return. It's also much easier to prepare than a 1040X and all the various attachments and narrative.

11-Oct-2019 12:11pm

I paper filed a superseding return before April 15. Clearly marked "SUPERSEDING RETURN" in bold read letters. IRS still sent a notice requesting a 1040X. Took a while to straighten out so expect SNAFU's.
Post a reply