Change of Address and Tax Transcripts

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
I have read on the IRS website that it generally takes four to six weeks for the IRS to process a change of address request. I want to obtain a new client’s tax transcripts as soon as possible in order to determine how best to help him in regards to his back taxes. He has moved and has not updated his address with the IRS. Can I still obtain his tax transcripts by using the last address the IRS has on file for him on a Form 8821 or is this not permitted? What is the best way for me to proceed in this situation?

Do you have e-services access? If so, you can call the Practitioner Priority Hotline and request the transcripts to be delivered to your secure mailbox, provided you have POA. I do this regularly and receive the transcripts within an hour.

If you don't have e-services access I highly recommend registering for it. You can pull transcripts online instantly for any client you have a POA on file.

Return to Taxation