IRS FIRE System

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
This is the first year I use the FIRE system to file 1099-MISCs. Overall it is a smooth process and easy to use. The only thing is that I find it very difficult to follow which Form 1099-MISCs have been e-filed and which have not. The tracking history on the FIRE website only shows filename with random alphabets and numbers. The email confirmation also only shows the filename with random alphabets and numbers. For those of you who are experience in using the FIRE system, is there a way which can clearly show a list with the payer's and payee's name?

TaxDude  
I've been using the FIRE system for many years. No, there is no way to show a list of payers - that I know of.

What I do is print a report to pdf of payers with the software I created the 1099s with. If I have multiple groups of payers, I number each group. Then, upon submitting the group of payers to FIRE, you'll get a confirmation. The IRS calls this report File Statistics. I print that confirmation to PDF and use the same number within the file name that I used with the payers report I previously printed. This allows me to verify which payers have been filed and within what group.

sjrcpa  
How long after submission does it usually take to be accepted?
And then how long will it take to show up in the IRS system so that, for example, The Taxpayer Advocate can see it?
I've got a case there where a corrected 1099 was issued last summer by a 3rd party but was not submitted through FIRE until today.

TaxDude  
I've seen the acknowledgement email from IRS as fast as the next day and as long as 5 days.
Unfortunately, I don't know how long it takes for the info to show up on the IRS system so TTA can see it.

sjrcpa  
Thanks for that information.

Return to Taxation