Stock Price Research AOL - Time Warner

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
I am working on my client's 2018 returns and there were a few transcations of Time Inc. & Time Warner Inc. that have no records of basis. According to the client, he bought AOL in the 1990s and did nothing with it (he did not sell or buy more shares).

Do you know where I can find the capital change records? I remember I used to work for a firm that had a book on capital change of all the stocks. But now I am on my own. I try to look online but the info is incomplete. Any help is appreciated.

Yea time Warner’s website go to investor relations and good luck. Time warner is very complicated.

I agree with Terry. Through the years, I have headache whenever I see a client has sold AOL/Time Warner shares. How in the world could they have made the whole thing so complicated?

Thanks Terry. I did look that up.

The client bought AOL and there are several entities involved over the years: AOL, Time Warner, Time Warner Cable, Time Inc. Charter Communications and AT&T. Ugh......

What's your time frame for getting this done? And how many buys/sells were there over the years? I've had two clients who purchased stock in the 60's - 90's in all of the various companies and I created an Excel spreadsheet to track basis, allocate basis among the splits, etc. With sufficient information the spreadsheet works pretty good. I could try to find it for you, but not sure how much modification you'd need to do to make it work for your particular buy and sell dates.

And before you get your homes up, I believe my clients originally purchased AT&T or Ameritech or whatever it was originally. So the AOL branch of the spreadsheet may not start at the right point. I don't recall of the top of my head how that split or merger or whatever went down.

Return to Taxation