1095-A allocations between multiple tax returns

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
adamant  
Hello all,

Yes, I'm playing devil's advocate on this post, but hear me out, as I think there's a planning opportunity here. I realize that there could be some sort of substance over form issue, but the Regs seem to make this too easy not to consider.

Family of Mom, Dad, Son 1, Son 2.

All 4 covered under the same ACA policy. Did not receive a credit due to the anticipation of being over 400% of the FPL.

Son gets married in the spring, files his own return. Son and new spouse are not over 400% of the FPL.

Common sense says that I should allocate 25% of the 1095-A to Son 1 to claim on his tax return, and 75% on parents' return. Turns out, this is one of the option. However, §1.36B-4 seems to indicate there is another option though:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/26/1.36B-4

§1.36B-4(a)(1)(ii)(B)(2) reads:
Code: Select all
(2) Allocation percentage. The enrolling taxpayer and claiming taxpayer may agree on any allocation percentage between zero and one hundred percent. If the enrolling taxpayer and claiming taxpayer do not agree on an allocation percentage, the percentage is equal to the number of shifting enrollees claimed as a personal exemption deduction by the claiming taxpayer divided by the number of individuals enrolled by the enrolling taxpayer in the same qualified health plan as the shifting enrollee.

Is anyone aware of provisions, other than my good conscience, from procuring the most advantageous allocation possible?

EZTAX  
We have discussed this before. I agree it is not "right" but we are supposed to do all we can to legally save our clients money. They should have closed this loophole up long ago but they have other things they are worrying about.

Agree with EZ. One question though: Was married son on the policy all year?

adamant  
Yes.

I am deducting the policy premiums for SE HI, so I plan on backing those off from the parents' return, proportionately.

Return to Taxation