"Held out for Rent" - am I too by the book?

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
New client bought a condo in November 2019 with the intention of it being a rental. It didn't rent until 2020.

He is dictating that I am to calculate his tax return with:

1) The property as a rental in 2019
2) Deferring the expenses until 2020 when it rented.

So he can decide when we are to report it as rental property and take depreciation.

My first thought is to ask him, "when was it factually held out for rent?

And then when he tells me I say, "this is when we will report it as a rental".

Am I too strict? Please share what you do in this spot.

AlexCPA  
There is a recent Oregon Tax Court case (Hutsenpiller v. Dep't of Revenue), which offers some useful cites to Tax Court cases regarding this matter:

Diligent and bona fide efforts

Particularly where taxpayer offers the property for rent but fails to secure a lease, courts consider whether the taxpayer made diligent and bona fide efforts to rent the property. See Robinson v. Comm'r, 2 TC 305, 307 (1943) (finding for taxpayer based on "diligent efforts" of two real estate firms, even though house was not rented or sold during two tax years at issue); Sherlock, 31 TCM (CCH) 383 (finding for taxpayer despite failure to secure a rental for two years because offer to rent was bona fide and on reasonable terms); Hudson v. Comm'r, 41 TCM (CCH) 1253 (1981) (finding property was not held out for rent or for profit-making purpose after taxpayer failed to rent apartment for over five years due to the lack of "decent" or "desirable" tenants); Foster, 60 TCM (CCH) 466 (finding for taxpayer who listed condo for rent through a real estate agent, even though condo was vacant for two years); Redisch, 109 TCM (CCH) 1493 (finding against taxpayer based on agent's "minimal" efforts to rent: featuring it in a portfolio in the company office and showing it as a model to prospective buyers).

Furthermore, per Redisch v. Comm'r (https://casetext.com/case/redisch-v-commr), please note the following:

"Whether an individual converted his personal property to one held for the production of income is a question of fact that "depends on the purpose or intention of the individual, as gleaned from all of the facts and circumstances". In the case of a converted residence, the Court often looks to five factors to determine the taxpayer's intent: "(1) the length of time the house was occupied by the individual as his residence before placing it on the market for sale; (2) whether the individual permanently abandoned all further personal use of the house; (3) the character of the property (recreational or otherwise); (4) offers to rent; and (5) offers to sell." No one factor is determinative, and we consider all of the facts and circumstances.

Grant v. Commissioner, 84 T.C. 809, 825 (1985), aff'd without published opinion, 800 F.2d 260 (4th Cir. 1986).

Grant v. Commissioner, 84 T.C. at 825; Newcombe v. Commissioner, 54 T.C. 1298, 1300-1302 (1970).

Saunders v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 2002-143, aff'd, 75 Fed. Appx. 494 (6th Cir. 2003)."

My question would simply be: "What is the date on which the property was first offered for rent?" That date would be the determinative factor in addressing the question of when it was first "held out for rent".
Even more of my antics may be found on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXDitB ... sMwfO19h7A

novacpa  
Ask, "what is the date on your Certificate of Occupancy"?
It must 1st be available to be rented, uninhabitable properties are not "placed in service".

ItDepends wrote:And then when he tells me I say, "this is when we will report it as a rental".

Am I too strict? Please share what you do in this spot.

I always wonder why individuals like this pay a professional if they're going to dictate how the return is going to be prepared.

It's in service when it's first (1) in habitable condition and (2) held out as available for rent. If he didn't want it in service until 2020 he could have held off listing it as available for rent until after December 31st. But...my feeling is he wants to have his cake and eat it too.

No, you're not being unreasonable. Be careful, seems like a client that communicates in this manner might not have any trouble lying to you...

It is possible he won't even benefit from the expenses for 2019 (i.e. they could be passive and carried over to 2020). This would (supposedly) get rid of his concern, but it doesn't address the manner in which he's interacting with you...

Return to Taxation