$1000 government check comimg in the mail

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
Some of the comments on this thread are just so bad, wrong and unsophisticated that it’s incredible. Many of them come from a place of obvious inexperience.

The only person here that’s bothered to read anything relevant is Nilodop.

…and now Dbaratz.

Nilodop  
OK, so, assuming the SOL we are discussing is the one after which IRS can't assess a deficiency, here's what I think, which is not consistent with some of the above:

"Typical year" (2018) and disregarding weekend/holiday and postmark rules:
Don't extend, and file on or before 4/15/19, SOL 3 years after 4/15/19
Extend but file on or before 4/15/19, SOL 3 years after 4/15/19
Extend but file after 4/15/19 but before 10/15/19, SOL 3 years from date received by IRS

"Atypical year", i.e., 2019:
Don't extend, and file on or before 4/15/20, SOL 3 years after 4/15/20
Don't extend, and file after 4/15/20 but on or before 7/15/20, SOL 3 years from 4/15/20
Extend but file on or before 4/15/20, SOL 3 years after 4/15/20
Extend but file after 4/15 but on or before 7/15/20, SOL 3 years after 4/15/20
Extend but file after 7/15/20 but before 10/15/20, SOL 3 years from date received by IRS

The inconsistencies are because the new law postpones the filing date, which does not change the due date, and because a return filed under an ordinary extension is considered filed when received by IRS, not on the extended due date.

Jeff-Ohio wrote:Some of the comments on this thread are just so bad, wrong and unsophisticated that it’s incredible. Many of them come from a place of obvious inexperience.

The only person here that’s bothered to read anything relevant is Nilodop.

…and now Dbaratz.

You seem to be quite stressful.

philly  
Hopefully the checks will come to families in need in a few weeks. The IRS seems to have two speeds slow and stop

Nilodop  
Do you think it might take "a day or so" to read the final law, develop the software to implement it, find the proper recipients out of over 100 million returns, and send the money?

taxtothebest wrote:You seem to be quite stressful.

Stressful is an adjective - It would be stressed, but don't confuse it with annoyance...annoyance over having to read one ill-conceived comment after the other…

Jeff-Ohio wrote:
taxtothebest wrote:You seem to be quite stressful.

Stressful is an adjective - It would be stressed, but don't confuse it with annoyance...annoyance over having to read one ill-conceived comment after the other…

LOL, I meant 'stressful' to other posters. Anyway, I was not being serious and just playing. Peace.

juro  
Some of my children have asked me if they can obtain the stimulus check if I am claiming them as dependents. My thought is that if I don’t claim them as a dependent that the tax deduction benefit loss will be greater than the $1200 stimulus check. However.....if my loss last year is greater than the dependent advantage maybe it makes more sense to not claim them and let them get the $1200 each. Thoughts?

ASSISTANCE FOR INDIVIDUALS
DIRECT PAYMENTS: One-time payments of $1,200 per adult + $500 per minor child

WHO’S ELIGIBLE: All U.S. residents with a work-eligible Social Security number and an individual adjusted gross income (AGI) of $75,000 per year or less. The income limit for those filing as a head of household is $112,500 and married couples is $150,000. The benefit amount gets reduced by $5 for each $100 of additional income exceeding the various category ceilings. Benefits are entirely phased out for individual filers with AGI above $99,000, head of household filers who claim one child with AGI above $145,500, and joint married filers with AGI above $198,000. The government will calculate AGI based on 2018 or 2019 tax filings, depending on which is most recent. For those who collect Social Security payments yet do not file because they fall beneath the filing income threshold, the IRS will use Social Security Benefit Statement Form SSA-1099 to determine eligibility.

TIMELINE: On March 25, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said, “We expect the IRS will do direct deposit in the next three weeks.” For taxpayers who need a paper check, the process could take much longer, as checks will be sent via regular mail.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/coronavi ... 30400.html

Juro, are you sure about that? See s 2201 of HR 748. The new IRC 6428(d)(2) appears to prohibit this.

LW25  
I hope that the checks aren't going to be delayed by this (excerpt from a report from politico dot com):

IRS orders office evacuation, affecting most agency employees

The directions include employees who don’t have a telework agreement.

by Aaron Lorenzo
March 30, 2020

The IRS issued a nearly blanket evacuation order to its workforce beginning today, the latest in a series of steps to shrink the number of on-site employees due to the coronavirus pandemic.

An agency-wide email from IRS Human Capital Officer Robin Bailey on Friday explained that all employees “including employees who are currently not teleworking but whose work is portable or can be adapted to work off-site" must "evacuate the work site” and either work from home or an alternate location.

[ . . . ]

Bailey’s message didn’t address how the evacuation would affect tax returns, refunds or direct payments of $1,200 for most Americans that the IRS will play a large part in distributing. Press liaisons didn’t respond to a request for comment.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/3 ... ees-155502

EZTAX  
Juro- if you could claim them and don't they still can't claim themselves.

dsocpa  
The IRS has created a web page Q&A on "Economic impact payments:What you need to know"
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

Answer to the ?? regarding those who typically do not file a tax return is below:

I am not typically required to file a tax return. Can I still receive my payment?
Yes. People who typically do not file a tax return will need to file a simple tax return to receive an economic impact payment. Low-income taxpayers, senior citizens, Social Security recipients, some veterans and individuals with disabilities who are otherwise not required to file a tax return will not owe tax.

Previous

Return to Taxation