2848 Line 3

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
Beagle  
I'm trying to get a wage and income transcript. What do I enter on line 3 describing that? Just type in Wage and income transcript? Or do I enter all the potential forms individually like W2, 1099 etc.

I haven't done very many of these.

AlexCPA  
I usually include "INCOME TAXES", "EXCISE TAXES", and "REQUEST TRANSCRIPTS" each on its own line with the respective form number (ex. Form 1040, 1120, etc.) in the middle column. So far, I have not had any issues in obtaining transcripts.
Even more of my antics may be found on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXDitB ... sMwfO19h7A

Beagle  
I gave them Income and 1040 for the two columns you mention and they gave me nothing for the wage transcript.

AlexCPA  
Beagle wrote:I gave them Income and 1040 for the two columns you mention and they gave me nothing for the wage transcript.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Did the IRS refuse to provide you with a Wage and Income Transcript? Or was it blank in that there was no income?

Beagle  
They rejected the form. All I'm authorized to see is 1040 returns which don't exist.

I'll try again with Wage and Income Transcript in the box.

sjrcpa  
I have never listed wage and income transcript on a 2848 and I frequently pull them at eservices.
I guess it couldn't hurt to list it, though.

Beagle  
sjrcpa wrote:I have never listed wage and income transcript on a 2848 and I frequently pull them at eservices.
I guess it couldn't hurt to list it, though.

What is it you list in the first box?

I've always just listed income and always received the wage transcript.

Maybe it has to do with the virus and their office closures. Noticed the practitioner priority line is shut down. Was told by our IRS rep that it's shut down until they can figure something out which likely means a month or more.

sjrcpa  
I have always just listed income under type of tax.

skassel  
You do NOT list anything concerning transcripts on a Power of Attorney. I have no idea where anyone would get that idea. The instructions to complete a 2848 are very clear.
Steve Kassel, EA

AlexCPA  
An IRS representative on the Tax Practitioner Line once refused to provide income tax transcripts based on the fact that this authority was not specifically stated on the Form 2848. Since then, I've included it on the form and haven't had any issues with any Forms 2848 whatsoever.

cl2018  
I usually put "income" under type of tax and 2018, for example under period

Beagle  
AlexCPA wrote:An IRS representative on the Tax Practitioner Line once refused to provide income tax transcripts based on the fact that this authority was not specifically stated on the Form 2848. Since then, I've included it on the form and haven't had any issues with any Forms 2848 whatsoever.

So you write "income tax transcripts"?

I wrote Income, they didn't give me anything related to income forms. I've done that in the past and have gotten it.

AlexCPA  
AlexCPA wrote:I usually include "INCOME TAXES", "EXCISE TAXES", and "REQUEST TRANSCRIPTS" each on its own line with the respective form number (ex. Form 1040, 1120, etc.) in the middle column. So far, I have not had any issues in obtaining transcripts.

skassel  
Alex, there is no need whatsoever to do that regardless of your experiences. READ THE 2848 INSTRUCTIONS.
Steve Kassel, EA

Joan TB  
They rejected the form. All I'm authorized to see is 1040 returns which don't exist.

If they "rejected the form", then how are you authorized to see anything??? Are you sure there isn't something else wrong with the way the form was completed, other than line 3? Maybe you are using an outdated version of the form (the latest is dated Feb 2020) even though that in itself seems unlikely as the new version didn't have a lot of changes from the prior.

Absolutely no clue why you are having problems. If you are signed up for e-services and can log into that system - all you need on the 2848 is for "Description of Matter" INCOME / "Tax Form Number" 1040.

Certainly everything else on the 2848 needs to be completed correctly and the 2848 in the system as accepted.

I pull wage and income transcripts every year for every large client. Have for years and have never had any problems. Keep those in a word doc in the tax year folder.

LW25  
I have used the IRS practitioner hot line a lot for many years. Most of the time, they've been good.

Sometimes, however, it is obvious that the training the IRS provides to its personnel is uneven and, in some cases, simply incorrect. It is very frustrating to wait on hold for 20 minutes and then get someone who comes up with some off the wall excuse for why they cannot provide the information that I am authorized by law to receive. In each and every one of these situations, the IRS employee has been unwilling to even try to cite any actual authority for the employee's position.

I have had situations where the IRS employee just agonized over whether I was allowed to see the information, repeatedly put me on hold and went back to his supervisor, and ultimately refused to comply, even where I cited a specific provision of the Internal Revenue Manual (not to mention the Internal Revenue Code itself).

Under certain provisions of the Code, disclosure to the tax practitioner is not only authorized, but is required. In those situations, an individual IRS employee does not have a legally recognized "discretion" in the matter.

Return to Taxation