Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
Lender credit in closing
Post a reply

22-May-2020 2:19pm

Suppose I have the following charges / credit in closing of the original purchase of home (simplified for clarity):

- Purchase price: 150,000
- Origination fee: 1000
- Government fee: 2000
- Lender credit (non earmarked): -2500

What is the cost basis of the property? What I can deduct? Thanks.

26-May-2020 8:52am

Unfortunately, simplifying in this situation hurts rather than helps. There is nuance.

For example, how is the property used? State and local government transfer taxes may be deductible if it's used in a trade or business. They might be capitalized in other situations. See Rev. Rul. 65-313.

Government recording charges are capitalizable into basis.

High level, you'll want to break it would into items capitalized into the basis of the property, loan costs, and expenses. And again, how the property is going to be used matters.

26-May-2020 10:35am

ManVsTax wrote:Unfortunately, simplifying in this situation hurts rather than helps. There is nuance.

Thanks Man. This is the initial purchase of primary home. My question is whether the lender credit reduces the cost basis, and the taxpayer can still claim the points, or the lender credit offsets the points.

13-Jul-2020 8:03am

I usually net lender credits against the loan costs. It makes logical sense to me.

13-Jul-2020 2:02pm

ManVsTax wrote:I usually net lender credits against the loan costs. It makes logical sense to me.

I agree. It seems that this forum does not have the option for me to mark your reply as the answer, so I so indicate by this reply. Thanks!
Post a reply