IRS Transcript Delivery System problem

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
LW25  
On three separate occasions today, I have tried to get into the IRS transcript delivery system. Each item, I have input my user name and password, and I have almost immediately received a six-digit code by text message on my cell phone. As is the usual procedure, I then input the six digit code, but I receive the following nonsensical message:

Unauthorized Access to TDS

You have not met the requirements to submit requests for TDS. Check the online tutorials or e-services on IRS.gov for additional information.

LW25  
I tried a fourth time about 8:40 pm central time, Monday May 25. Same problem.

Just tied to log into "e-services" which is where I access client transcripts and had no problems.

Only went in to either confirm your issue or not but no issues on my side of the keyboard. Wish you luck.

Not trying to be political - just a sincere THANK YOU you for those that have served and died for our country! We would not have the freedom's we have today without their ultimate sacrifice.

LW25  
Michaelstar wrote:Just tied to log into "e-services" which is where I access client transcripts and had no problems. [ . . .]

I'm still getting the same problem.

LW25  
Just tried for the sixth time. Still have the problem. I input the user name and password, and the IRS then "text messages" an access code to my cell phone. When I use the access code, I get the same message as before:

Unauthorized Access to TDS

You have not met the requirements to submit requests for TDS. Check the online tutorials or e-services on IRS.gov for additional information.

LW25  
Now I'm at work, and the problem is even worse. At home this weekend, eservices recognized my user name and password, and sent codes to my cell phone. It was just that when I input the codes, the system would give the goofy message I quoted above.

From the computer at work, at first, the same thing happened this morning. User name worked, password worked, received the text messaged code. But eservices would not accept the code they had just sent to me.

But now, eservices doesn't even recognize my user name. I can't even get to the point of inputting my password, much less receiving the text message code.

My only suggestion then would be for you to call e-services and hopefully get through if they are open. Here is the link which I am sure you already have.

https://www.irs.gov/e-services

e-Services
866-255-0654

LW25  
I did call Eservices and this is what they told me.

The Eservices technician asked about how long it's been since I accessed the Transcript Delivery System. I said, probably not for a couple of months (although that's unusual for me -- I usually access it about once every couple of weeks).

The technician then checked my account and she mentioned that my EFIN number had expired or was no longer valid.

I said, yes, that number expired years ago -- apparently because I have never used it. (As I recall, issuance of an EFIN was just part of the process of setting up an online account for a practitioner about eight years ago -- regardless of whether the practitioner would be using the EFIN to file tax returns.) I explained to her that having a current EFIN has never been a requirement to access the Transcript Delivery System.

She said, yes, but the IRS did a "clean up" of the Eservices system in March. She said that now, a practitioner needs a current EFIN to access the Transcript Delivery System -- again, even though (A) accessing the Transcript Delivery System merely to obtain records and (B) using an EFIN to file a return are not at all the same thing.

So, she had me re-apply on line, with her on the phone. She said that once I receive notice that the re-application has been approved, I will need to call Eservices back and tell them to go into my account and input a special code that will specify that the account must stay open, regardless of whether I am using the EFIN. (Presumably, Eservices will also re-instate the EFIN that I had years ago, or will set up a new one for me.)

So, hopefully that solves the mystery.

Perhaps it didn't occur to the programmers who "cleaned up" the system in March that having a current EFIN shouldn't even need to be a requirement for merely accessing the Transcript Delivery System. Also, it apparently didn't occur to them that there might be practitioners whose EFINs had expired years ago and who would now suddenly not be able to access the Transcript Delivery System once the system was "cleaned up". They should have advised practitioners of the effect of the "clean up".

Edited for a typo. LW25

Return to Taxation