E-filing 1040X. The day will finally come.

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
RightOn  
I have always wonder why amended tax returns have to be paper-filed while taxpayers have been being pressed to electronically file their regular tax return for years. Looks like the day that amended tax returns can be e-filed will finally arrive this summer.

"This new process is a major milestone for the IRS, and it follows hard work by people across the agency," said IRS Commissioner Chuck Rettig. "E-filing has been one of the great success stories of the IRS, and more than 90 percent of taxpayers use it routinely. But the big hurdle that's been remaining for years is to convert amended returns into this electronic process. Our teams have worked diligently to overcome the unique challenges related to the 1040-X, and we look forward to offering this new service this summer."

I wonder if this is imminent or are we talking late summer. I've got a couple to send off but I wonder with the IRS backlog if a refund would be received quicker if we wait for 1040x efile capability.

basisschedule wrote:I wonder if this is imminent or are we talking late summer. I've got a couple to send off but I wonder with the IRS backlog if a refund would be received quicker if we wait for 1040x efile capability.

Are they 2019 tax year?

ManVsTax wrote:
basisschedule wrote:I wonder if this is imminent or are we talking late summer. I've got a couple to send off but I wonder with the IRS backlog if a refund would be received quicker if we wait for 1040x efile capability.

Are they 2019 tax year?

The one with a refund is 2019.

basisschedule wrote:The one with a refund is 2019.

I'm assuming the others are not?

When the electronic filing option becomes available, only tax year 2019 Forms 1040 and 1040-SR returns can be amended electronically.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-announ ... ic-returns

AmirK  
When one files a paper 1040X, it should include the forms and statements originally filed, and as amended (changed). How does this requirement work with the 1040X for 2019 that can be efiled now?

sjrcpa  
AmirK wrote:When one files a paper 1040X

it should include the forms and schedules that have changed. Per the instructions.
For efiling, we are at the mercy of what the software thinks should be sent.

I am not sure that you are to include the forms as originally filed with an amended return.
I thought they only want the forms that have changed to be included with the amended filing.
The 1040X instructions are not clear.
-
Since we are on the subject. There are a few errors coming with e-filed 1040X returns. One of the errors is if the original return showed 0/no tax due. The IRS database rejects these returns and they still need to be paper filed, unless a new update comes out to fix the error.

Drake Software files the updated 1040, and the 1040-X as an attachment to the updated 1040:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19057&p=164900

I've filed a couple now. I attached the previously filed forms as pdf attachments. Seemed like the only reasonable approach.
~Captcook

Frankly  
IRS 1040X Instructions wrote:Don’t attach a copy of your original return, correspondence, or other items unless required to do so.

AmirK  
In some other place the IRS says
Include other forms or schedules. If a taxpayer makes changes to any form or schedule, they should attach them to the Form 1040X when filing. Not doing so could cause a delay in processing.

I have always included any forms or statement that changed because of the amendment; both as originally filed, and as amended. I have filed many amended returns without any problem or delay over the years.
Having said that, I can see that the instructions are not clear. When the IRS says "don't attach a copy of the original return unless required to do so." do they mean, do not automatically attach a copy of the complete tax return as originally filed? Or do they mean parts that got changed? They should tell us when it is required to include copies of the original return.

Return to Taxation