Erroneous Impact Payment Received

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
BFStax  
My wife and I received a debit card for the Economic Impact Payment which my wife opened and checked the balance. Approximately $900 on the card although we are not supposed to receive any payment as our adjustment gross income is over the threshold of $198k. I tried calling the IRS EIP line and spoke to a lady who clearly isn't an agent (she answered the phone "Hello?". Definitely not how I am used to speaking with the IRS!) It sounds like the IRS has hired people to read a script on how to get more information about the program but can't give any personal account information.

I tried calling the general IRS line and can't get anyone on the line. I will try again tomorrow morning. Has anyone heard of this and know how to return the money? Since it's a debit card that came from a bank I don't want the IRS thinking I cashed it. Should I send back to where paper checks go?

as our adjustment gross income is over the threshold of $198k.

That’s impossible.

BFStax  
Jeff-Ohio wrote:
as our adjustment gross income is over the threshold of $198k.

That’s impossible.

What's impossible?

lucyko  
Did your AGI exceed $198,000 for both 2018 and 2019 ? Your Economic Income is automatically calculated by IRS . Perhaps at the time of IRS processing of your 2019 return, it had not gone through the entire processing .(IRS calls this posted and processed ) If this is the case they would have used the information off your 2018 return. If your AGI is lower than $198,000 you are eligible for an EIP.

If you are not eligible for the payment go to the IRS website and search the Q and A for instructions on sending back the payment .

Do you have any kids ? You could make $210k but if you had 3 kids under age 17 then the calculation is a credit of $2,400 plus $1,500 for 3 kids and the phase out is $5/$100 so you would lose $3k of your $3,900

We had a family with 6 kids under the age of 17

BFStax  
BerkshireCPA wrote:Do you have any kids ?

I had to go back and review the FAQs in more depth to find the increased threshold of $10k for each child. This is what got us the stimulus payment. For some reason I missed this detail. Thanks everyone. My wife will be very happy!

Return to Taxation