EXPIRED LICESNES

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
zl28  
have a husband and wife couple

they owe irs around 200k

i want to efile their extensions

should i just put for now they don't have licenses? and file when they do get ones?

all the dmv places are closed or people don't want to go in there bc of getting covid?

JR1  
For an extension, doesn't matter. Make up dates or check the box they don't have/not provided.
Go Blackhawks! Go Pack Go!
Remembering our son, Ben Jan 22, 1992 to Aug 26, 2011.
For FB'ers: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BenRoberts/

zl28  
now i have someone who needs to file a return asap for financial aid, and they can't find their license.

but they owe money to the IRS - no refund.

Under this scenario - will the IRS filing bounce back or be delayed if put driver doesn't not have a license?

sjrcpa  
IRS does not require Driver's license info. Some states do (and maybe some tax software).

Is this person driving?

zl28  
taxpayer does drive and is in ny

ny requires a license

there's no refund on this return

im using intuit proseries

was thinking just to file the federal since that is what is needed for this financial aid applicaiton

and waiting for the state till i get the license

wonder if intuit will reject even if just file the federal and say taxpayer doens't have a license.

Both of them can"t find their licenses? It is fishy.

cyberdom wrote:Both of them can"t find their licenses? It is fishy.

The title of this thread indicates the licenses are expired, not MIA.

zl28 wrote:wonder if intuit will reject even if just file the federal and say taxpayer doens't have a license.

No. As others have already stated, check "did not provide" and efile the thing.

CathysTaxes  
Some states are automatically extending the expiration date by a couple of months. Check the DMV website.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

zl28  
Sorry for confusion i've caused.

My first post was regarding extension issue for a couple with expired licenses.

Then i followed up with a new scenario - an individual from NY needs to file a tax return asap for financial aid.

He can't find his current license; only his expired one.

BAsed on above, appears group is recommending just file the federal and say taxpayer did not provide license and hold off on state...one issue though is taxpayer is in NY...not sure Intuit will allow that for a NY resident.

zl28  
looks like intuit will not let me file without a license or some state id bc i am in ny

CrowCPA  
I see two options - delete the state return and file the federal. Then when you get the license info add the state back in. Print a copy of the state return before you delete it.
Option two - most states have an expiration date on one's birthday, so figure out what that date should be. One snag could be that New York also asks for a strange number from the reverse side of the license. You could try putting in the number from the expired license. If the state return bounces, so what? The federal should go through. Deal with the state later.

CrowCPA wrote:I see two options - delete the state return and file the federal. Then when you get the license info add the state back in. Print a copy of the state return before you delete it.

Instead of deleting, I think mark the state return as paper file will do. The license requirement is only for E-file. Later you can change paper file to E-file without losing information.

It appears the state requires state issued ID only, so if someone does not have a license but a passport, it won't do, as the passport is not issued by any of the 50 states and there is "state" filed that needs to fill in. Technically I can put in any state and it will go through, but I am worried that I am providing fraudulent information so I don't do it. I find this absurd as passport is a universally accepted ID. In this situation, we have to paper file simply because a taxpayer does not have a state issued ID?
Please consider visiting this post where my question at the end has not been answered yet:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12065, thanks!

Return to Taxation