Requesting Info from Prior Firm

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
MWEA  
Client doesn't like the idea of requesting a prior return you copy from her firm she is leaving, asked if I could reach directly out to them to get it. Ironically, I've never done it. Do you typically get a signed letter and submit it over to them, or is there anything else official that's typically involved?

CO CPA  
It's the client's job to provide you with a copy of their prior year return, it's not your job to hunt it down.

CrowCPA  
I have been on both the requesting end and the sending end of this situation. Years ago it could be handled with a couple of phone calls. Today things are different. I would prepare an authorization for release of tax return information, have the new client sign it and then I would fax it to the old accountant. Around here everyone cooperates in these situations.

JAD  
Has the client told the old firm that she is leaving? If not:

Get her to sign a 7216 statement. Then send an email, cc client, with 7216 statement attached:

Dear xxxx,

XXXX has asked me to contact you on her behalf. She is making a change and thanks you for your service over the years. Will you please send me a copy of her tax returns for xxxx,xxxx? You have my email. My address is:

xxxxx

Please let me know if you need anything from me. Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,

Although I have to say, totally lame of new client who should have contacted old CPA directly.

If you just need the return and other preparer has been notified, then it is easy. Just send the 7216 statement and request the return.

Old firm should have given her a copy of the tax return. If she looks, she just may find it!

CrowCPA  
Some people are experts at losing their copy of the return.

sjrcpa  
We instituted a fee this year for a duplicate. A lot of people managed to find their copy.

Yep, it's amazing how they can find their copy if I'm charging to send a copy somewhere!

Webster  
What do some of you charge for a duplicate? We don't often send a duplicate, but often send a 7216 disclosure to the client and send the return directly to the bank etc.

My old employer charged $75 per year requested. The clients I acquired last year got charged $25. When the executor of a recently-deceased client asked for a copy of the return and offered to pay I did it at no charge if they would accept electronic delivery via Sharefile. When executor's husband decided he could not do the return, they engaged me to do it, even though they live three hours away.

I have yet to be asked for a copy by a continuing client. However, I have decided that supplying a duplicate copy is a service like any other. They can pay for my time in printing it off, preparing an envelope and going to the post office. They can choose between three-day priority or one day priority and pay the price for that too. If they want me to mail it, rather than picking it up from my office, that takes it to over $100. My fees are very reasonable and anyone who needs professional tax preparation should be able to afford me. So those who are careless enough to lose their copy or too lazy to look for it can pay for my time so that others who are organized and not lazy do not have to subsidize them.

sjrcpa  
We charge $75. It's mainly for those who are too lazy to look for their copy. Our admin staff got tired of being their secretary.
For the executor example, I wouldn't charge.

Webster  
Thank you both.

A few years ago I had a client who was repeatedly asking for copies of prior year tax returns, both business and personal. The first time I didn't charge, even the second time I growled but didn't charge, then I charged something small, after about the fourth time, I charged him a lot, he grumbled, paid the bill, looked at me in a very unpleasant manner and I haven't heard from him since.

CathysTaxes  
Depends on the client. Some clients call me for everything but they pay promptly, don't give me any hassle and sometimes have given me gift cards.

Former clients, I will charge. PITA clients, I will charge.

If I email them their encrypted return again, I usually do not charge.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

Return to Taxation