IRS Taxpayer Relief Initiative

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
Joan TB  
Just got an email on this today...

Here are the highlights of the Taxpayer Relief Initiative:
1) Taxpayers who qualify for a short-term payment plan may now have up to 180 days to resolve their tax liabilities instead of 120 days.
2) The IRS is offering flexibility for some taxpayers who are temporarily unable to meet the payment terms of an accepted Offer in Compromise.
3) The IRS will automatically add certain new tax balances to existing Installment Agreements, for individual and business taxpayers who have gone out of business.
4) Certain qualified individual taxpayers who owe less than $250,000 may set up Installment Agreements without providing a financial statement if their monthly payment proposal is sufficient.
5) Some individual taxpayers who only owe for the 2019 tax year and owe less than $250,000 may qualify to set up an Installment Agreement without a notice of federal tax lien filed by the IRS.

Items 1,2 and 3 will be useful. Items 4 & 5 are good to know for those who owe >$50,000 (the old cap on IA without providing a financial statement).

skassel  
From whom specifically is the email?
Steve Kassel, EA

Joan TB  
I think it was one of those "e-news for Tax Professionals"... I don't always keep those emails once I read them, so don't know exactly which of the several subscriptions I get.

But here is a link to the website referenced in the email. I got the email on 11/19/ 2020.
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/taxpayer-relief-initiative-aims-to-help-those-financially-affected-by-covid-19

Return to Taxation