Form flow for lump-sum UK pension distribution

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
Neill  
I have a lump-sum UK pension distribution for a US resident. UK taxes were withheld as allowed by the UK-US treaty.
I am trying to understand how this flows through the forms.
I am using 1116 with source income type of lump-sum. With Drake this doesn't seem to generate a tax credit without form 4972.
Using this form though generates a 10% early distribution on the foreign pension. I don't think that's correct.
I am entering pension distribution on screen 3 as pension income without a 1099-R. Unlike 1099-DIV you can't like 1099-R to a particular 1116 form.
Is form 4972 correct for reporting this?

Did you read the 4972 instructions?

Guya  
When you type "lump-sum" does this mean a complete distribution in a single year?
PS – Greeting from London, England. Grey and rainy ...

Neill  
Guya wrote:When you type "lump-sum" does this mean a complete distribution in a single year?

Yes

Neill  
HenryDavid wrote:Did you read the 4972 instructions?

Not all of them no. I don't read much before I think it's not applicable.

Guya  
Assuming the client is a non-UK resident, is the withholding the final tax or is there a refund due from HMRC once a UK return is filed and processed?
PS – Greeting from London, England. Grey and rainy ...

Neill  
Guya wrote:Assuming the client is a non-UK resident, is the withholding the final tax or is there a refund due from HMRC once a UK return is filed and processed?

Non-UK resident. Tax Residency certificate has been sent to the UK from the IRS but it's not clear to me that this will affect the tax situation. HMRC has refunded some withheld tax since the payout occured before the UK 2019-2020 tax year.
I have calculated the cash flows in dollars and am planning the 2020 tax situation.
I am now starting to think that the lump-sum category income is wrong and I should put this in the general income category. Tax s/w does the right thing in this case and consumes almost all of the tax credit.

Neill  
I am starting to think that maybe Drake is not handling this right. As soon as I use the lump-sum income category of 1116 it requires 4972. If I say this is a non-qualifying lump-sum I am not supposed to fill in the rest of the screen but it complains about missing details for that same screen.

Return to Taxation