EFIN

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
i am a small proprietor. i have my EFIN for years. There is a chance for me to partner with someone else at another location. Can i use my current EFIN there also? Thank you all for this great forum

mdavis  
If you already have an EFIN you can get a 2nd location and EFIN for it very quick usually under a week pre covid, not sure what wait time is now.

HowardS  
Pub 3112:
Adding New Business Locations
Providers may need to submit new IRS e-file Applications when expanding their e-file businesses to new business locations. EROs must submit new applications for additional fixed locations from which the origination of
the electronic submission of returns will occur. A fixed location is an office owned or leased by the ERO.

I don't believe that just the act of filing from a different location requires a new EFIN.
Retired, no salvage value.

HowardS  
Note that the OP started this conversation and provided additional information here:
https://www.taxprotalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20297
Retired, no salvage value.

mdavis wrote:If you already have an EFIN you can get a 2nd location and EFIN for it very quick usually under a week pre covid, not sure what wait time is now.

is it usually that fast?

HowardS wrote:Pub 3112:
Adding New Business Locations
Providers may need to submit new IRS e-file Applications when expanding their e-file businesses to new business locations. EROs must submit new applications for additional fixed locations from which the origination of
the electronic submission of returns will occur. A fixed location is an office owned or leased by the ERO.

I don't believe that just the act of filing from a different location requires a new EFIN.

i keep getting conflicting results. is it a location thing? obviously it seems the docs are conflicting and of course you cant get a definitive answer from the IRS

Return to Taxation