Capital gain for nonresidents who lived in the US

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
Everywhere I read. I get that the capital gain for nonresident who lived in the US for more than 183 days is at 30% fixed rate unless the treaty defines a different rate. However, my software (ProConnect by Intuit) produced an error that says "For efile purposes, capital gain on Schedule NEC, Line 9, 30% column, is not allowed." This happened to countries such as Singapore that do not have a treaty with the US, for countries that do such as Japan, China, France, Canada, the error disappears. I am wondering if it is a bug in the software, or I did something wrong.

This is to report stock again for nonresidents on schedule NEC of form 1040-NR.

Thanks.
Please consider visiting this post where my question at the end has not been answered yet:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12065, thanks!

sjrcpa  
The error is saying you can't efile the return. It is not saying the 30% rate is wrong.

sjrcpa wrote:The error is saying you can't efile the return. It is not saying the 30% rate is wrong.

sjrcpa: thanks for the reply. Given the backlog, paper file is hopeless, and also I do not see the point of paper filing: who gets the benefit from the paper filing? Does anything see an issue if I change the tax rate to 30.01% in favor of the IRS to e-file?

sjrcpa, I am not arguing with you, I am just asking questions and trying to understand the rationale.
Please consider visiting this post where my question at the end has not been answered yet:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12065, thanks!

sjrcpa  
I did not sense you were arguing with me.
I also don't like to paper file anything if it can be avoided.
I guess you can try your idea and see what happens. Good luck.

Given the backlog, paper file is hopeless

Not hopeless, just delayed.

who gets the benefit from the paper filing?

Government does, because they get a tax return. The taxpayer does, because he satisfies his filing obligation. Same benefits as e-filing.

Return to Taxation