Nonresident holding US real estate property for investment

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
merlin  
hI ALL,

TRIED TO POST THAT IN AN OLDER THREAD BUT NO RESPONSES SO FAR SO TRYING A NEW ONE:

In case of a nonresident alien(living outside the US all the time) that holds a real estate prop as an investment in the US - will they report a sale of such property on Form 1040NR schedule D and "enjoy" capital gains tax?

Or- are they doomed to pay 30% tax on their investment gain, no matter if it's held short-term or long -term?

(PS- I'm not worried or asking about withholding of 15% of the proceeds when selling)
Thanks

Please see Page 16 of Form 1040NR instructions.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040nr.pdf

merlin  
Thanks for pointing this out...I should have looked there first.

Per the 2020 instructions, it goes to sched D:

"Dispositions of U.S. Real Property Interests
Gain or loss on the disposition of a U.S. real property interest (see Pub. 519 for definition) is taxed as if the gain or loss were effectively connected with the conduct of a U.S. trade or business.
Report gains and losses on the disposition of U.S. real property interests on Schedule D (Form 1040) and Form 1040-NR, line 7.
Also, net gains may be subject to the alternative minimum tax. See Line 1 under Instructions for Schedule 2, later. See Real Property Gain or Loss in chapter 4 of Pub. 519 for more information."

Return to Taxation