3115 or Amended?

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
JR1  
I probably know what you'll all say....but just wondering if there's a shortcut.

1065 with rental commercial real estate, initial return 2019. Now cost seg study to maximize depreciation. Since it's ONLY 1 year, can I merely amend the 2019 and move on? Or must I do the clunky and time consuming 3115?

Thx.
Go Blackhawks! Go Pack Go!
Remembering our son, Ben Jan 22, 1992 to Aug 26, 2011.
For FB'ers: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BenRoberts/

dave829  
Account Deactivated
I would be interested in Coddington’s answer to your question, but FWIW, here’s what section 6.01(1)(b) of Rev. Proc. 2019-43 says:

(b) Taxpayer has not adopted a method of accounting for the item of property. If a taxpayer does not satisfy section 6.01(1) (a)(i) of this revenue procedure for an item of depreciable or amortizable property because this item of property is placed in service by the taxpayer in the taxable year immediately preceding the year of change (“1-year depreciable property”), the taxpayer may change from the impermissible method of determining depreciation to the permissible method of determining depreciation for the 1-year depreciable property by filing a Form 3115 for this change, provided the §481(a) adjustment reported on the Form 3115 includes the amount of any adjustment that is attributable to all property (including the 1-year depreciable property) subject to the Form 3115. Alternatively, the taxpayer may change from the impermissible method of determining depreciation to the permissible method of determining depreciation for a 1-year depreciable property by filing an amended federal tax return for the property’s placed-in-service year prior to the date the taxpayer files its federal tax return for the taxable year succeeding the placed-in-service year.

Coddington  
You can do either assuming you haven't filed 2020 yet.
-Brian

Director of Tax Accounting Methods & Credits
SourceAdvisors.com

Opinions my own.

JR1  
YAY!!!! Makes my day, thanks!
Go Blackhawks! Go Pack Go!
Remembering our son, Ben Jan 22, 1992 to Aug 26, 2011.
For FB'ers: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BenRoberts/

Return to Taxation