Wisconsin HELP

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
jon  
I have a Minnesota S Corp that purchased a small mobile home park in Wisconsin in 2020. Their other 11 rentals are in Minnesota and Wisconsin is very small. I did not get an approval for separate accounting for 2020 which would have been nice. They have a loss this year for all properties, and Ultra tax is not showing any taxes due. I will be talking to Ultra tomorrow to go through their calculations, seems right. Can I now ask for separate accounting for 2021? Is there anything I need to be aware of?? Client already registered for doing business in Wisconsin.

Jon

It would generally be unsurprising that a lossmaking activity apportioned would lead to no Wisconsin taxes due. Yes, you can request separate accounting for a unitary business doing business in and out of the state until the end of the fiscal year.

Just curious -- what reason do you want to use separate accounting?

jon  
They had to purchase the WI rental(3 others in MN) and it will be profitable, but by far the smallest. Not sure prorating will help them, but know the $$ on the WI should be easily calculated.

jon  
Thanks missing

jon  
Missing the restrictions on the adjustments to depreciation adjusts the WI income is enough to a turn loss into income and WI income into a % that creates taxes in Wisconsin - when the two mobile home parks have tax loses on the federal. Next year will be interesting as a lot more income, but not for WI properties. So hopefully WI taxes will become smaller.

Thanks

Jon

Return to Taxation