Tax Practitioner Hotline

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
ode923  
Hi all. Any tips on when to call the IRS practitioner hotline? Every time I call I get the message that call volume is too high and to call back the next business day. Going on 10 straight business days of this...

fish  
I start first thing in the morning, and i hang up and hit redial, and hang up and hit redial, and hang up and...

Doug M  
On the west coast, I call after 4 pm and most all callers have long gone home. Works every time. 5 minute wait.

Wiles  
I had same experience as Doug yesterday. All day long, they said "Sorry Goodbye". I called at 4:40. They picked up immediately.

I've called too close to 430pm on the east coast and ended up with a dropped call after the POA was faxed in.
Those IRS employees on this side of the country take that 430 quitting time very seriously.
My 2 cents.

I also recommend 7am.
Or just keep trying. Sometimes it can take a week or 2 but I eventually get to talk to someone.

s054  
I had enough of the waiting and subscribed to the EnQ service. They hold a place in line so the IRS agent picks up right away, no waiting, or very short. Though pricey, it's the only solution these days.

JAD  
Fascinating. I had not heard of that.

https://callenq.com/freeminutes/

s054  
It really works. I've also been allowing my multitude of clients who have gotten identity verification letters to use the system as well. Keeps them happy, worth the small price to pay.

Sounds like EnQ may be why the wait times are so long! They already have people that have called in and are holding spots in line! What a way to drum up business!

Seaside CPA wrote:Sounds like EnQ may be why the wait times are so long! They already have people that have called in and are holding spots in line! What a way to drum up business!

Not only "sounds like." It is the reason wait times have increased exponentially. Tax professionals who subscribe to this s/be ashamed of themselves. EnQ holds all the lines, making people feel the only way to get through is to subscribe. Shame, shame, shame.

s054 wrote:It really works. I've also been allowing my multitude of clients who have gotten identity verification letters to use the system as well. Keeps them happy, worth the small price to pay.

How have you been doing this? Do they come to your office or use your phone?

s054  
I would think that if they would be the ones causing the problems, the government would step in and make it illegal. Doubtful that they have such a high volume as to cause widespread issues.
So you consider it more ethical to bill a client for hours you spend waiting on the phone listening to hold music? Not my business model

s054 wrote:So you consider it more ethical to bill a client for hours you spend waiting on the phone listening to hold music?

While I am not addressing the OP's issue here of not being able to get through...to this comment I have to know if tax pros are really billing their clients for hold times??? I initiate the call, put it on speakerphone/mute, then go about my other tasks. Once someone on the other end picks up then the clock starts for the billed call.

s054  
From what I've seen stated on some forums, it looks like there definitely are those practitioners who bill for time on hold before the actual call is even started. Hope it's not the norm.

$59 per month for those of us who do not seek representation work but who must sometimes speak with the IRS is, to be blunt, blackmail. Those who pay the "ransom" make it more difficult for the rest of us to go about our lawful business assisting our clients. Hopefully the checkbox on Form 2848 is an attempt by the IRS to gather data so that they can clamp down on this theft from the taxpaying public.

Is it just me or can one not really devote the same brain power to a task whilst on hold?

supdat  
"While I am not addressing the OP's issue here of not being able to get through...to this comment I have to know if tax pros are really billing their clients for hold times??? I initiate the call, put it on speakerphone/mute, then go about my other tasks. Once someone on the other end picks up then the clock starts for the billed call."

Depends on the client and the situation. Rarely do I bill 100% of hourly rate for all hours of sitting on hold. But, at the same time, it is not that easy to do other stuff while waiting. You have to be prepared to drop what you are doing in an instant to take the call once they pick up.
Last edited by supdat on 8-Jul-2021 9:46am, edited 1 time in total.

Nilodop  
Is it just me or can one not really devote the same brain power to a task whilst on hold?. Astute point. Concentration on a complex matter can be diluted by the background thought about the call on hold. At least for me. It's not the same as walking while chewing gum.

supdat  
I have been on hold now with for estate and gift for over 1.5 hours. Grr! We should call up the AICPA and our respective State Societies and ask them to get enq banned!
Last edited by supdat on 8-Jul-2021 10:03am, edited 2 times in total.

Nilodop  
Free enterprise at work. Wish I had thought of it.

Next

Return to Taxation