Number of returns by your PTIN correct?

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
The IRS PTIN website ( https://rpr.irs.gov/datamart/mainMenuUSIRS.do ) has the number of tax returns prepared by your PTIN. The number is way off for me, is that accurate for you. Although it says:

If the number is substantially higher than the number of tax returns you've prepared and you suspect possible misuse of your PTIN, complete Form 14157.

If the number is substantially lower than the number of tax returns you've prepared, you need to verify that you are entering your PTIN correctly on returns. The most common cause of this problem is the entry of an incorrect PTIN during tax preparation software setup.

I doubt that it is someone uses my PTIN or I did not enter PTIN on my return. I am wondering why it should be off. It is a simple count by computer and should be 100% correct, no?
Please consider visiting this post where my question at the end has not been answered yet:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12065, thanks!

Webster  
Is it low or high? If it is low, could it be related to the IRS being behind on processing returns this year?

After you login, where exactly does it tell you the number of returns filed using your PTIN?

ManVsTax wrote:After you login, where exactly does it tell you the number of returns filed using your PTIN?

"Select View Returns Filed Per PTIN". There are only a few clickable buttons.
Please consider visiting this post where my question at the end has not been answered yet:

Webster wrote:Is it low or high? If it is low, could it be related to the IRS being behind on processing returns this year?

99% of the returns are E-filed and have been processed. The reported numbers is like 50%.

puravidatpt wrote:
ManVsTax wrote:After you login, where exactly does it tell you the number of returns filed using your PTIN?

"Select View Returns Filed Per PTIN". There are only a few clickable buttons.

That doesn't show up when I log in. I don't see anything listed for me.

Same. I do not see that option when I login. That portal, for me, is just a place to renew my PTIN, opt-out of the paid preparer directly, and receive messages related to my PTIN (mostly renewal reminders).

Maybe it has something to do with pura is an EA and Seaside and I are CPAs? Surely that can't be it.

mariaku  
I don't see that option either when I log in. Here is what I see - nothing else at all:

Main Menu

Choose from the options below for the function you wish to perform.
My PTIN Information
PTIN: #xxx
PTIN Status: Active

Manage My PTIN Account
Select #xxx

Additional Activities
Select View My Messages
Select View My Continuing Education Credits

HowardS  
Mine shows it. My number is right on. It shows only the 1040 series of returns and must be at least 50.
Retired, no salvage value.

LW25  
Here is the sign in page I use:

https://rpr.irs.gov/datamart/mainMenuUSIRS.do

When I use that page to sign in, I do not see anything that would allow me to see the number of tax returns prepared under my PTIN.

The only options are:

1. inactivate PTIN;
2. opt out of preparer directory;
3. submit a name change request;
4. update my PTIN account information.

I've gone through all those options, and I don't see anything that would show the number of returns prepared under my PTIN.

HowardS  
Additional Activities

View My Messages (30)
View Returns Filed Per PTIN
View My Continuing Education Credits

LW25  
HowardS wrote:Additional Activities

View Returns Filed Per PTIN

OK, that is not shown on my screen.

HowardS  
PTIN information line: tel:877-613-7846. Maybe they can help.

LW25  
HowardS wrote:PTIN information line: tel:877-613-7846. Maybe they can help.

Because of the unusual nature of my tax practice, I had never used my PTIN to file a return until this year. I'm thinking that maybe the returns I filed this year just aren't in the part of the IRS computer system that accumulates that data.

I tried calling the phone number above, but everybody has closed up shop for the day. I might try calling tomorrow.

It's all an academic exercise; because all the returns I have ever filed using my PTIN were filed this spring, my records are complete and I know exactly how many returns there are.

HowardS wrote:It shows only the 1040 series of returns and must be at least 50.

I don't think I filed 50 or more 1040s under my PTIN, so if that is true it's probably the reason that it's not showing up for me.

Funny, mine shows up now. Maybe the system was down when I logged on before.

LW25  
I definitely filed less than 50 returns, so that also may be the reason mine does not show up.

In the past I have never noticed this part of the PTIN system to be particularly accurate.
It currently has me at 176 returns.
The per year breakdown is a nice feature.
166 for 2020, 5 for 2019, 3 for 2018 and 2 for 2016
nothing reported for 2017, and I guarantee anyone I did for 2016, I also did for 2017.
(it is possible that the 2 returns for 2016 they have so far for this year were mailed last year, when the corresponding 2017 returns were e-filed and processed last year.)

I count roughly 165 give or take, but I'm sure I'm missing a few on my quick count.
Some of those would have been mailed and are not processed yet.
Close enough.

The E-service account has more detailed and seeming more accurate info including the following:

EFIN
    "Return/Form Type"
    "Processing Year"
    "Transmitted YTD"
    "Accepted YTD"
    "Rejected YTD"

Return to Taxation