Advanced CTC direct deposit or check?

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
Client asked this question that I do not know the answer. Hope someone can help.

Client has never used direct deposit for tax refund.

Because of the EIP, he went online to register his bank account. So all the EIPs were direct deposit to his bank account.

Therefore, he fully expected that the Advanced CTC would be direct deposit too. But he received a check.

He asked me why.

He is going to file his 2020 tax return next week. If he uses direct deposit for the refund in this tax return, will the future advanced CTC be direct deposited too? (I told him he can go online to register his bank account again for the Advanced CTC. He said he tried but the process is too complicated. He said he would need to scan his picture ID or something and he does not want to send his picture ID through the internet).

Saw a similar situation where a taxpayer has been using direct deposit and direct debit for years (including 2020), and the IRS chose to send a paper check. No explanation why, had to go online to change to direct deposit.

Return to Taxation