2021 INVEST in America Act

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
Looks like the Senate released their full text today.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/infrastruc ... ipartisan/

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XmTwQj ... 8790H/view

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-con ... -bill/3684 (for those that want to track progress, hasn't been updated with the Senate text yet)

Only thing I'm seeing based on news sources that affects tax is new cryptocurrency reporting requirements, although I have not skimmed the text yet. Probably a 1099-B or something similar.

Passed Senate yesterday. Going back to the House.

Biggest tax change/revenue raiser appears to be related to related to virtual currency reporting requirements. Other minor tax changes as well.

Pelosi has indicated there will not be a vote in the House until the budget resolution is passed... Many people expect a lot of large revenue raisers to be pushed through the budget reconciliation process. Those making more than $400k may be hit especially hard.

I'd keep that in mind for planning this year. Capital gains, pulling forward income, deferring expenses, etc.

I think this also includes ERC being done away with on 10/1/2021 (except Recovery Startup Businesses), correct? I was surprised about them winding back the throwing money at covid whatever, that seems unusual for the way these people tend to approach these things. And there's no pushback on it because the media isn't talking about this ERC provision.

Do you think the budget resolution will pass in time for them to also get this passed prior to 10/1/2021? It seems like there's less bipartisan support for the stuff that wasn't included in this bill.

I believe the Senate is going to vote on the resolution this week. We won't see legislation until probably mid-Sep.

I think the House is on recess until Sep 20 IIRC.

It's anyone's guess. They just need a simple majority for the budget reconciliation. I think it's going to be ugly for those with high income and large cap gains. The best we can hope for is an effective date late in the year, or better...during 2022 so we can plan accordingly.

Looks like the House cut their recess short. Now expected to return on Aug 23.

I can't find the tax provisions on the Congress website. What division are they in?

I believe the cryptocurrency provision was done through amendments. You won't find it in the 7/13 bill text. Hopefully they'll upload what the Senate passed soon.

CCH had a good summary go out this morning. I'll post the high level points...hopefully don't run into copyright issues...

Other than the cryptocurrency reporting requirements, other tax changes in the bill the Senate passed:

--An extension of highway taxes to 2028 and highway trust fund expenditure authority to 2026;
--Inclusion of qualified broadband projects and carbon dioxide capture facilities among the other types of projects for which private activity bonds can be issued;
--A return of the exception for water and sewage disposal utilities from the rule requiring a corporation to recognize contributions in aid of construction (removed by the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017);
--A return of Superfund excise taxes on certain chemicals, last effective in the mid 1990s;
--Termination of the employee retention credit for employers closed due to COVID-19 after September 30, 2021; and
--Changes to the extension of tax deadlines due to declared disasters and service in a combat area, as well as expansion of extension authority to taxpayers impacted by wildfires.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-con ... /3684/text

They have posted the 8/10 Senate version.

The cryptocurrency provision is Sec 80603 therein.

Return to Taxation