Unknown refund

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
Client has just received a refund check. We are trying to figure out the reason.

His wife received unemployment benefits in 2020 while he did not. The 10,200 exclusion of his wife had been claimed in original tax return already.

This refund check though matches the amount that they would receive if the exclusion had not been claimed in the original return filed. So could it be a mistake of the IRS agent who processed the tax return to claim the exclusion for them again?

Usually additional tax refund will be followed by an explanation letter. Does anyone know if refund due to unemployment benefits exclusion will also be followed by such an explanation letter?

ShawnE  
I hope so!!! see the thread just below this one referencing refund amount. This is starting to really worry me. You aren't the only one seeing odd refunds with no idea of how the amount is reached.

mariaku  
It happened to one of my clients and I heard the same story from other CPAs, too. We returned the check back with a letter.

Riki_EA  
Do your clients live in a community property state by any chance?

Return to Taxation