Has IRS shut down their FAX service?

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
I have a client who has been qualified to receive a grant from the Dept of Ag. She needs a tax clearance but the website for that is saying she is not compliant with IRS and requesting an 8821. I FAXed over a copy of the signed 8821 that was filed back in March, but evidently not processed. Client called the state office today and was told to do a few things, and then the person she was speaking with said that FAXing was not going to work because IRS has turned off their FAX services. I have an acknowledgement that the FAX was sent and received. Is it true that the FAX services are not working?

sjrcpa  
I have heard some fax services are not working because:
a) No one is there to receive them or to replace toner/paper
b) Machines are broken and no budget to repair or replace
c) No budget for toner and paper

I've heard the first one, but not for awhile, the others not so much. I think the guy my client was talking to though meant that the entire system is completely kaput, which I'm not so sure about.

CathysTaxes  
sjrcpa wrote:I have heard some fax services are not working because:
a) No one is there to receive them or to replace toner/paper
b) Machines are broken and no budget to repair or replace
c) No budget for toner and paper

Does anyone really believe the IRS doesn't use an e-fax service?
Cathy
CathysTaxes

sjrcpa  
I think they have some of both. In the good old days when I faxed something to a person I had on the phone, they told me it came right to their computer.
For other things I don't know.

CathysTaxes  
Think about it. Most of them are working from home. They have to have access to the faxes.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

sjrcpa  
Good point.

Webster  
A representative recently told me he was working from home and had to get someone in the office to forward the fax I sent to him. It seems like most have access even when working from home, but in this case he didn't. He also couldn't get anyone to forward it to him, so back to the queue I went.

CathysTaxes  
And of course he wouldn't get his butt to the office. A friend of mine, who works for the State of Illinois, goes into the office once a week. My special needs daughter social worker went into the office many times.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

philly  
The 2848 Fax service transmits but no one is recording the POA.
Tried calling the PPP hot line at 7 am when they open. The recorded message says they are busy please call back later.
Had to take several cases to the TAS for results. The IRS is in a covid shut down mode.

skassel  
IRS is NOT in covid shut down mode. PERIOD.
Steve Kassel, EA

Return to Taxation