Disabled Client IDOR Lien

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
CathysTaxes  
Close friend contacted me about his brother. He and his siblings recently learned that he was suffering from mental illness and the doctor diagnosed him with a slowly, dementing, neurological disorder in March of 2020. They are trying to get his affairs taken care of.

They received a lien for IDOR, covering three tax years. One sibling got access to MyTax Illinois and it shows several letters have been sent and unanswered. The letters were dated 2019 and 2020.

This is my preliminary response to the lien, comments are appreciated:
We are in receipt of your lien directed towards xxxxx. Mr. xxxxxx’s brother, recently contacted me concerning tax issues of his brother. On March 11, 2020, Dr. bbbbb, diagnosed Mr. xxxxx as being disabled due to a slowly dementing neurological disorder. We are attaching a copy of Dr. bbbbb's diagnosis. Mr. xxxxx’s siblings are now struggling to get him the help that he needs and to resolve any outstanding issues.

They’ve contacted me to help them resolve this. Mr. xxxxx is indigent, being supported by Social Security Disability checks. He is unable to work and has no assets.

Mr. xxxxx’s brother recently opened a MyTax Account for him and obtained power of attorney. We are in the process of reviewing Mr. xxxxx’s tax issues on MyTax Illinois, as we cannot locate any letters that were sent. Due to Mr. xxxxx’s disability and current financial status, we will be asking that all penalties and interests be removed from his account and that the lien be stopped. For Mr. xxxxx, the amount owed of $1,913.66 is indeed a hardship to him.

Cathy
CathysTaxes

Return to Taxation