California FTB Power of Attorney process

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
I filed a Power of Attorney through the FTB website by submitting the signed 3520-PIT, and it is active without taxpayer interaction after the filing. However I see the following note on the website:

You requested full online account access to your client's information, based on your active relationship(s). Until your client approves your request, you will have limited online account access.

How does a client approves the request? Did they send a notice to client?

I did the same for another client (submitting the signed 3520-PIT online), but get a notice that "we require confirmation from the taxpayer before we can complete your request" and currently the Power of Attorney request is pending.

So from the experience, it seems for some clients they need confirmation and for some they don't? And they need client approval for the full online account access?
Please consider visiting this post where my question at the end has not been answered yet:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12065, thanks!

Frankly  
FTB sends a letter to the TP saying that someone (you) requested POA. They must then log onto the FTB website to confirm that the request is valid. Alternatively TP can provide you with the code number provided in the letter and you can complete the authorization through your account.

If the TP does not respond within 30 days then the POA application expires and you have to start over.

Frankly wrote:FTB sends a letter to the TP saying that someone (you) requested POA. They must then log onto the FTB website to confirm that the request is valid. Alternatively TP can provide you with the code number provided in the letter and you can complete the authorization through your account.

If the TP does not respond within 30 days then the POA application expires and you have to start over.

Frankly: I had one Power of Attorney request that matches what you described. On another request, it is slightly different, the FTB gives me the basic access and sent a letter to the taxpayer with a code. After I entered the code, I got the full access.

On the latter request, I am the preparer for the current year (2020, but I requested access for ALL years). I do not know if that makes a difference. I do not have enough data to validate a theory, but just to document the fact. Hope info from other people helps to complete the circle.
Please consider visiting this post where my question at the end has not been answered yet:

Frankly  
It's not clear what the problem is you want to solve.

The only way to get any access at all is to upload a taxpayer signed 3520 to the FTB website.

If the request on the 3520 is "all years" then you get authorized to represent the tax payer for all years. If the request is for "specific years", only those requested years will be authorized.

Either way the taxpayer is required to validate the POA request. FTB mails a letter with an authorization code and the taxpayer can enter the code through the FTB website. If the taxpayer doesn't want to do it, then he can give you the code and you can do it. Once it is done you will have full access.

Without the code your online access will be limited and short term.

Frankly wrote:It's not clear what the problem is you want to solve.

The only way to get any access at all is to upload a taxpayer signed 3520 to the FTB website.

If the request on the 3520 is "all years" then you get authorized to represent the tax payer for all years. If the request is for "specific years", only those requested years will be authorized.

Either way the taxpayer is required to validate the POA request. FTB mails a letter with an authorization code and the taxpayer can enter the code through the FTB website. If the taxpayer doesn't want to do it, then he can give you the code and you can do it. Once it is done you will have full access.

Without the code your online access will be limited and short term.

I just want to get a clarification for the process. I just noticed two different treatments: for one client, if the client does not approve (or I enter the code), then I have zero access, the request gets dropped; for the other client, before the client approves (or I enter the code), I had limited access (not in terms of time but what I can and cannot see), and after the client approves (or I enter the code), I have full access.

After submitting a few Power of Attorney requests, now I am clear about the process. They will grant you a limited access upon approving the request, and if you have requested full access, they will send a separate notice with an authorization code to the client. The tax professional can enter the code and become full authorized.

Only tax professionals are automatically granted limited online account access to your tax information when we approve the POA Declaration. Limited online account access includes viewing notices and most correspondence issued by FTB

within the last 12 months for any tax year(s).
If you or your tax professional requested full online account access on your POA Declaration, we will mail you a separate notice with an authorization code and instructions to authorize or deny the request. We will not send you an authorization
code for tax professionals that already have full online account access to your information or when they do not have a MyFTB account.

With full online account access your tax professional(s) may view the following information and take available actions for the tax year(s) designated on the POA Declaration:

• All available notices and correspondence
• Estimate payments and credits
• Balance due
• Tax returns
• Account summary

For a full list of the information your tax professional(s) can access, go to ftb.ca.gov/Access

Return to Taxation