administrator fees for defined benefit plan

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
lucyko  
I have a sole proprietor client (Schedule C ) who has established a defined benefit plan . He currently pays the annual third party administrator fees from the Schedule C business . Can he take a deduction on Schedule C for the payment or should the Defined Benefit Plan be paying the fee in which case that would lower the balance in the DBP .

Nilodop  
Yes, he can. Is there some doubt on that which I am overlooking?

lucyko  
Only that the nature of the expense stems originates from the defined benefit plan and not the activity of the Schedule C .If this is deductible on Schedule C what expense category should it be reported on ?

The benefit plan would benefit all employees and the owner. Just because there may not be any other employees doesn't change the nature of the deduction. It's a business level retirement plan either way.
~Captcook

sjrcpa  
Legal and Professional Fees.

Nilodop  
It goes w/o saying, but I'll say it, that the economics change (favorably) by employer's paying the fees and deducting them, while the plan balance compounds annually on a tax-deferred basis.

Spock  
Some of the expenses may also qualify for the credit for Small Employer Pension Plan start-up costs.

Return to Taxation