contacting IRS

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
J8069  
I have clients in ACS that have gotten to the intent to levy stage due to the fact the IRS won't open the mail I have sent and every time I call either the service center or practioner line I get the message to call back later. It doesn't matter if I call at 7:00AM or any other time during the day. They don't take phone calls and don't open the mail, how is someone supposed to communicate with them? Meanwhile ACS keeps spitting out collection letters. I guess I'll file a CDP but I need to mail it and it's just going to get thrown in the pile with all of the other unopened mail. Does anyone have a better way?

Frankly  
At 7:00 AM on the dot the enqueue robodialers lock up all incoming lines essentially cutting out anyone that doesn't pay. It's really gotten out of hand. Time to talk to the Taxpayer Advocate Service Office of Systemic Advocacy. https://www.irs.gov/advocate/tas-systemic-advocacy-faq

Meanwhile a CDP request seems to be the only way.

I had been trying to call IRS several times a day for about 3 weeks, and could never get through. Finally got through one day around lunch time and couldn't believe it. At the AICPA roundtable discussion the other day, the only suggestions they had were to get a taxpayer advocate involved. The T/A's have a way to connect with the IRS. Also, they said you can try pressing 2 for Spanish. They said all Spanish speaking workers also speak English. I did try that, but could not get through there either. Of course I don't know what they were asking me to do or press, but it would cut me off also!

I suggest you send your mail certified and include a copy of the cover letter of any previous unanswered letters and maybe a 433F or 433A. I've had good luck on the third try. Seems to embarrass them...

I'd be quite reluctant to file a CDP while the file is still in ACS.

In the meantime keep bank balances low. It seems likely the problem will then be reduced to whether there is a wage levy. Which raises the question: is the IRS also unresponsive re releasing wage levies? If so, this problem is much more serious than just the facts in the OP.
Steve

sjrcpa  
IRS is unresponsive with everything since COVID.

I also suggest choosing Spanish, if you can navigate the prompts.

I'm on the West Coast and got through at 3pm last Friday. Historically, I've had better luck in the mornings, but hadn't gotten through in nearly two weeks of trying. Apparently, the east coast callers drop off at 3pm PT and lines start to open up for us in the west. I don't think that helps any of you back east, though.
~Captcook

Joanmcq  
I call after 5pm since the lines are open until 7 and the east coast drops off and all the 9 to 5 folks. But I’m also in Pacific time.

J8069  
Thanks all for the input, I have two cases with the taxpayer advocate. My first contact with TAS on one client began 12/18/2020 and the second client on 4/14/2021, both as of yet unresolved. I have placed multiple phone calls to each agent at TAS due to not hearing anything from them for months. So far both agents have not returned any calls. I have never seen the service in such disarray.

I called yesterday around 11am ET and was told the wait would be 2-6 minutes and an agent answered almost immediately.
I was SHOCKED!!
Apparently they had an issue with the fax system not working earlier in the day, so perhaps everyone else gave up.

Frankly  
I call after 5pm since the lines are open until 7 and the east coast drops off and all the 9 to 5 folks.

Assistors go home too as each time zone drops off.

I call as many times in a row as I need to. The last few days I've been able to get through twice. Funny thing is, when I call, what-ever many attempts before say "its too busy". Then, when I do get through, they say something like it will be 5-10 minutes and I get someone fairly quickly.

Just called the practicer line 10 times in a row. Each time before was too busy. When I finally got through, only 7 minutes... seems to be rewarding diligent attempts to actually get through!

Wow, just called and got through on first try. Put in my number for a return call in 15-25 minutes, which they did! Everybody else must be too busy preparing tax returns today!

However, did not get needed info. I was calling regarding a 2019 tax return that had to be paper filed January 2021 due to efiling being down then. Agent advised me that I was outside of the time frame that they could discuss the return with me. Stated I would have had to call by July in order to discuss the 2019 return. In order to get information now, I would need a power of attorney. First I have ever heard of this-I didn't know third party designee had a time limit. I'm just trying to determine if the return has been received or what time frame he should be looking at, as client is trying to get a loan approved and bank said their return was shown as not being received.

I finally received notice this week for a paper filed 2015 return that was mailed in probably August-September of 2020.
I would expect a year plus delay on that paper filed return.
The IRS would hate it, but I would suggest e-filing the 2019 return now, if they are needing it for the bank/mortgage/loan.

Recked, I've debated doing that. Also, there is an overpayment from 2019 that is being applied to 2020, so that is also a concern about them not having processed it. We will be e-filing 2020 next week. Really don't want to have to deal with a notice for the 2020 return due to that.

EADave  
I just know the new Administration throwing money to increase the IRS budget will fix the problem, much like throwing more money in public education seems to work out just fine as well. I think we should boycott the IRS; let’s get them out of there and get those third party collection agencies back into the mix. Give them a commission on every sale (installment agreement) they make. That’ll get them on the phones!

supdat  
I am joining this thread. I have no less then three clients that promptly paid notices received from the IRS, that still received intents to levy, at least a couple of weeks, if not months, after the payment was received and processed by the IRS. The intents to levy are scary, because they come by certified mail, super obnoxious. Why don't they check the account to see if payments were received, but not yet posted, before issuing intents to levy??

novacpa  
I needed the attention of an RO - called her - got a voice message that scheduled a phone conversation 30-days out
to call at an appointed hour/minute.
That's how backed-up they are.
BTW the $85-Billion increase in Budget is a mere suggestion, it's not law-right now.

I like to know, how supdat and others bills their time for all the effort spent - spinning their wheels in Collections?

Return to Taxation