Representing taxpayers before the IRS

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
I have been representing taxpayers before the IRS and there are some unresolved issues because the IRS has not responded. I’m concerned that the IRS will try to levy their money without ever having read my correspondence. Should I try to obtain new cases in this current environment? I don’t want to have to tell clients later that I could not help them because the IRS is unable to respond.

Contact taxpayer advocate or try calling the tax practitioner line until you get through. I called 10+ times in a row until I got some through today.

One tactic is to keep low balances in exposed accounts. Another is to put the money in a SMLLC with a different EIN.
Steve

I would strongly recommend against this advice.

"One tactic is to keep low balances in exposed accounts. Another is to put the money in a SMLLC with a different EIN."

Intentionally trying to hide assets to prevent collection is more than a little bit 7201-ish. Prosecutions seem to be fairly rare but you can go to prison over such a "tactic"

Any person who willfully attempts in any manner to evade or defeat any tax imposed by this title or the payment thereof shall, in addition to other penalties provided by law, be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be fined not more than $100,000 ($500,000 in the case of a corporation), or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both, together with the costs of prosecution.
Because on T.A. ten was the most you were allowed

Return to Taxation