Paper Filed Return with Incorrect Social

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
Has anyone paper-filed a return with the incorrect social security number? Do you know how the IRS usually handles this? Noticed a client missed a credit on their 2017 return they prepared and just discovered the wrong social security number for one of the dependents and now that we are past the statute to claim a refund I'm nervous if they flat out reject it as they do for e-filed returns that the client could be out the credit.

HowardS  
Outside the SOL because the 2017 return was timely filed with no extension?
Shouldn't be able to get a refund or credit with an amendment.
My experience with a wrong dependent ssn years ago was that the IRS corrected the ssn.
Retired, no salvage value.

HowardS wrote:Outside the SOL because the 2017 return was timely filed with no extension?
Shouldn't be able to get a refund or credit with an amendment.
My experience with a wrong dependent ssn years ago was that the IRS corrected the ssn.

We paper filed it back in May, still hasn't been processed...

I've filed a 709 with the wrong SSN and was able to call in and get it moved to the right account.

HowardS  
We paper filed it back in May

Notice 2021-21 provides an extension of the SOL for 2017 1040-X to May 17, 2021. Filing by that date should be ok.
Not processed yet is now standard operating procedure, probably exacerbated by the SOL extension or ssn issue.

HowardS wrote:
We paper filed it back in May

Notice 2021-21 provides an extension of the SOL for 2017 1040-X to May 17, 2021. Filing by that date should be ok.
Not processed yet is now standard operating procedure, probably exacerbated by the SOL extension or ssn issue.

What's the likelihood the IRS just flat out rejects the 2017 amended return due to the social security number?

HowardS  
I can't answer the hypothetical but in my 20+ years I've had amended returns accepted and adjusted but never flat out rejected. Others may have different experiences.

Just reread the original post and see now that the wrong SSN is just for one of the dependents, not the taxpayer. It won't be 'rejected.' You'll likely get an automated matching notice, or referred to exam. You already had a lot of exam potential filing an amended* return claiming a refund. I suspect a human will examine the claim before they pay it out, at which point, the SSN issue may be raised and corrected. Currently seeing amended returns taking about a year to be processed.

Return to Taxation