hurricane ida thoughts?

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
zl28  
have a client who has 2 businesses that are in nyc

they come up for the summers to run their seasonal business

then they go back to their home in the Carolinas.

So i have addl time thru Hurricane Ida to file their business partnership returns.

However, i'm concerned i don't have add'l time to file their individual tax return by virtue of where they live.

Logically, i should get the xtra time for their 1040 since i can't prepare their indiv. return until i finish the 1065.

Why important?

they filed a partnership return late 2 years in a row

for the second year i need to use 84-35 so the return needs to be on time.

Do you think under these circumstances, the individual return will be deemed filed timely?

Also, i'm in the disaster area - not sure if the preparer is in the disaster area if his clients get the xtra time

Don't agree on the extra time for not having the businesses done. The IRS would say you should have filed with the information you had, even if that means doing an 8082 using PY numbers.

For the disaster relief, if the individual's address on record isn't in the disaster area, then you're supposed to call in for relief, 866-562-5227. Although not calling in just means you may get a notice you need to deal with. Whether they would qualify for relief, I would argue that they sent you records necessary to meet the filing deadline, therefore, the records were located in the affected area.

zl28  
on the business tax returns we use a ny address so i don't see an issue getting an extension of time there.

for the personal returns, however, we use the Carolina address which is not in the disaster area

Can't do the individual return until i do the business return.

Return to Taxation