Abatement of Penalty That is Already in Collections

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
Dbertke  
The situation I am running into is this. I have a partnership client in which one of the partners bought out the other in September 2020. This led to the partnership being terminated in September. I was not aware of this until the taxpayer brought in their tax information in February 2021. As a result, the return was technically filed late. I made the partners aware that they might be receiving a tax notice for this and to let us know if they do.

Client recently brought me in a notice showing that there was an overdue tax account for the partnership that was now being sent to collections. After asking them to take a look, they brought in an original notice dated in March assessing the late filing penalties.

My plan was to request an abatement of this penalty either under Rev Proc 84-35 or the First Time Abatement Waiver. Is it possible to do this with the account in collections? If so, would I follow the normal procedures to request the abatement?

supdat  
I recently filed Form 9423, Collection Appeal Request, together with a previously submitted request for abatement of a penalty (not FTA). They came back and said that they forwarded the request for abatement to the "appropriate office" for a response. So I guess based on that it may be possible to request a waiver after the account is in collections. But would like to hear others' thoughts.

dave829  
Account Deactivated
It should make no difference that the account is in collections. IRM 20.1.1.1.3 provides that all employees are required to follow the penalty relief policies servicewide.

It's never made a difference in my practice.
Steve

Return to Taxation